Diaries of a Dysfunctional Travel Ball Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Sounds like a frustrating season for sure RT. One of my favorite SB reads is this blog: Girls Fastpitch Softball. It was kept by a softball dad several years ago and chronicled his experiences with his daughters growing up playing travel softball. He stopped blogging abruptly in 2010, but everything you read on here is relevant to every softball parent today. I highly recommend it to all of the parents on my team. Having read your account, I highly recommend you take up the mantle and be the next softball dad blogger! Good luck!

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
sounds like the coaches worked their asses off to get the kids as many games as possible. There were hang-ups (which is something that happens on every team). There was some preferential treatment (common) and some overuse of players (common). Interesting story, but hardly something I'd call dysfunctional.

Feb 7, 2013
sounds like the coaches worked their asses off to get the kids as many games as possible. There were hang-ups (which is something that happens on every team). There was some preferential treatment (common) and some overuse of players (common). Interesting story, but hardly something I'd call dysfunctional.

If this is the norm in travel fastpitch, I may consider encouraging DD to join the chess club ; )

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RT, there are both typical examples of most TB teams and dysfunctional examples. I haven't seen 14U and 12U mixed in the fall because that is the time for team building. Maybe that is the norm for others but defeats the purpose of fall ball. Very few people find the perfect fit in every way. Still, there are great opportunities out there. I would say do your homework but it seems you did so before you let dd play on that team. So, instead, I'll wish you and dd luck.

Feb 19, 2009
If this is the norm in travel fastpitch, I may consider encouraging DD to join the chess club ; )

Other than having pre-high school age 14u players playing 12u travel during the high school season (most 14u players look for other all-7/8th grade 14u teams to guest play with) the experience you describe seems fairly common. Having your dd pitch an entire tournament to punish another healthy pitcher was out of line though and reason enough to leave this team. My dd has had to pitch most or all of a tournament on rare occasions due to injury to other pitchers but never for disciplinary reasons.

The highs and lows of being a first year travel parent can seem fairly intense but you'll quickly get a gut feel at for what teams in the future will be a good fit for your dd. It also helps to network and compare notes with other families you've played with and against in the early travel ball years.

Feb 7, 2013
Other than having pre-high school age 14u players playing 12u travel during the high school season (most 14u players look for other all-7/8th grade 14u teams to guest play with) the experience you describe seems fairly common. Having your dd pitch an entire tournament to punish another healthy pitcher was out of line though and reason enough to leave this team. My dd has had to pitch most or all of a tournament on rare occasions due to injury to other pitchers but never for disciplinary reasons.

Ok, so if I understand you correctly the following is normal travel ball:

- team formed in September but never receiving an equipment bag until May and never getting cleats that were promised and paid for;

- qualifying for an end of the year national tournament (which was a goal at the beginning of the season) but deciding not to play because the competition is weak or it's too much money?;

- in the middle of the season adding both young players (10u and 14u) without consulting the 12u families who are shelling out $150 a month dues,

- complete lack of communication including no email or text that the season is over. These girls have been playing together for 10 months and not a single email acknowledging the end of the season?

Again this is well established travel ball org with 20+ years of experience.

Maybe my expectations are too high? But when I coached I took the job seriously and didn't leave parents and players hanging but maybe this is the current status of travel ball.

Oct 25, 2009

- team formed in September but never receiving an equipment bag until May and never getting cleats that were promised and paid for;

- qualifying for an end of the year national tournament (which was a goal at the beginning of the season) but deciding not to play because the competition is weak or it's too much money?;

- in the middle of the season adding both young players (10u and 14u) without consulting the 12u families who are shelling out $150 a month dues,

- complete lack of communication including no email or text that the season is over. These girls have been playing together for 10 months and not a single email acknowledging the end of the season?

Again this is well established travel ball org with 20+ years of experience.

Maybe my expectations are too high? But when I coached I took the job seriously and didn't leave parents and players hanging but maybe this is the current status of travel ball.

Somehow this summary of your season speaks louder than the long version. This is horrible!

What's the chance you could take over the team and have a much better time next season? I believe you would do a lot better job.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY

- in the middle of the season adding both young players (10u and 14u) without consulting the 12u families who are shelling out $150 a month dues

not getting the equipment is a problem.
if back- ordered that severley, the order should have been cancelled, and either alternate equipment purchased or refunds given back to the families.

the Nationals thing is a tough call. Most travel teams have "qualifying for Nationals" as a stated goal in the Fall when teams are formed. but actually attending is a judgement call. Playing Nationals is often a significant additional expense to familes, and also a significant dedication of time. if the team doesnt develop to expectations, or the majority of families simply dont support going, then those plans can fizzle pretty quickly. and the way some teams "qualify" is highly suspect. Example: a Sunday total rain-out and therefore #1 seed from Saturday pool play "qualifies". not saying any of these scenarios apply to your team, just that it takes a certain level of enthusiasm from the familes and coaches to make a Nationals bid a reality. (especially at younger age groups)

Added players mid-season should have been required to pay pro-rated dues. If they werent, that is a problem.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
...I have some concerns that the head coach's DD is also a pitcher and we all know this is not an ideal situation for the other pitchers on the team. I let the AC know my concerns and he assures me that daddy ball will not be happening on this team.

Did you laugh? At least it's not daddy coaches in control of the high school program. ;)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
How about making the girls run as a punishment for making errors? Simply ridiculous. Make them run for lack of hustle or poor attitudes - I get that. But making them run for EVERY error? That'll help the girls relax.

And then the poor communication. Seems like the only communication these coaches were interested in was to browbeat the girls after every game. You're well rid of these clowns. Good riddance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles