Waiting, Waiting, and Waiting some more....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
Unfortunately some teams offer spots almost immediately and others wait until after all of their tryouts are over so it can seem like you are waiting forever. Some tryouts you know which players are already on the team and which positions are open, some you feel like you know nothing. It's so frustrating.

Good luck to your DD and I hope she finds the perfect team soon

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
On the flip side, the team that offered you a spot is waiting for you to give them an answer to build the team.... Yup it goes both ways :)

I have been on both sides of this and can say it is very frustrating either way. We tend to think about "us" without taking "them" into consideration. Human nature I guess. Parents want to make sure they make the right choice. Coaches want to do the same. Seems to me there has to be a better way to conduct "silly season" but I have no good answers.

Aug 5, 2016
Is your DD as frustrated as you? Or is this a parent thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Is your DD as frustrated as you? Or is this a parent thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both. It's just kind of frustrating to have the coach pull you aside after the private workout, talk about how pleased he was with her performance, tell you he's going to contact you the next day and then have it be another "I'll be in touch" waiting game speech. It does feel a bit like being strung along.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
We went through the same thing, and were still waiting and being told, "She's a great athlete and we still are looking at her," while others were already being offered. DD decided to bow out, didn't want to feel like she wasn't a top pick. Hurt her ego a bit, but welcome to the sport. Not the first time, won't be the last. DD was also offered for several other teams - but they are 18 and she's 15. She knew that she'd be sitting. A lot.

Odds are, if your dd isn't an immediate "Yes," she'll be constantly having to prove herself - and she won't be a starter. We are coming off a very successful season as a team, with a DD who feels left behind. She didn't get what she needed from the season, and she wasn't able to produce for them like she wanted to. The result is lots of team pics with trophies, but behind the scenes we had a very frustrated kid. We are proud to have been part of the team - but our DD needs to adjust her expectations and find a home where she can do work and be a performer for them. This is how the kids gain confidence.

Unless you're confident that she will make big developmental changes in the off season, you might not be thrilled with her opportunities once the season starts - and it will likely affect your DD mentally. It sure did ours.

This season our DD chose to go with a team who really wanted her - even though they weren't quite the level that she thought she wanted. She is being a realist. It doesn't do her any good to sit the bench on a high level team. The kid wants to play and get better, so it's all about finding a team where your dd feels good about getting opportunities and being developed, IMO. The kids need to feel that they had a hand in the team's successes, and responsibility for the failures.

Sorry so long - but I feel your pain about this time of year. Good luck to you. Don't let your desire for a big name team cloud your decision about where your DD can do her best work without fear of failure.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
I guess I'm not a normal coach! I basically know what I'm looking for in a player, and when I see it I grab it. If I don't see it, I let them know right away. I'm not into false expectations and all the "waiting game antics" these coaches pull. If you really like what you see take it! Don't play the waiting game and give "false hope" to the player and parents. Let them move on to try another organization. Just my two cents!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA