Diaries of a Dysfunctional Travel Ball Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
DISCLAIMER: I have been wanting to chronicle my experiences with the travel ball scene for a while now, and since we are done with the current season, I will give you my thoughts and impressions: the good, the bad, the ugly. While I am changing a few names and places to protect the innocent, everything I write will be true to the facts and will reflect my sincere emotions and thoughts on the season as I have experienced it. I hope this information will shed some light on travel softball life and will elicit some deep thoughts from those who are currently going through the process, have played travel ball in the past, or those that are considering the move to more competitive travel softball.

The Player: 12YO DD (Pitcher/OF/1B). Throws and Bats right-handed.

Prior Experience: DD has played softball since she was 5YO. Played 6U - 12U (1st year) for a fairly competitive recreation leagues in the Los Angeles area. Since she was 7YO, has been selected to an all-star team every year including a high finish at ASA Nationals and two fall seasons playing on a tournament team.

Instruction: DD started taking pitching lessons at 7YO and hitting lessons at 8YO. She has continued with lessons, off and one, for the past 6 years. 4 different PCs and 3 different hitting coaches (don’t judge me!)

Coaches: Head Coach and Assistant Coach were new to the organization and are primarily rec. coaches with one year of travel ball experience before this fateful season.

August 2014

After 8 full seasons, DD decides that she is done with rec ball (and frankly I am done with the daddy ball coaches and politics). She would like to tryout for a travel ball team. I research some travel ball team options in the area and we decide that "SoCal Gold" (not its real name) might be a good fit. The organization is relatively small but has been around for more than 10 years and has a decent reputation in the area and comes highly recommended by several people whose opinions I respect (or at least did respect).

During this same time, a former coach of DDs (I was an AC) would like to form his own travel ball team from players who disbanded from a 1st year 12U team the previous year and wants DD and me to be part of it. I respectively declined as I have officially retired from coaching and the team was going to be very disorganized and thrown together at the last moment anyways. Not the experience I wanted for my daughter’s first entry into travel ball (little did I know what was in store for us).

Tryouts

The tryouts for SoCal Gold last about 3 hours each day, over 2 days. My DD has played with or competed against many of these players over the years. The players are run through a variety of drills and skills: A) conditioning, B) warm-ups C), throwing, D) catching, E) fielding. The tryout is run by many members of the organization, including the "upper classman" players in 14U and 18U.

Only about 18 players are trying out which sort of surprises me. I assumed we would have 30+ players being from such a large, metropolitan city but there were several tryouts for other teams the week before and apparently there is much competition for talent at this age, players get offers immediately and need to decide within days.
There are 4 pitchers and 5 catchers at tryouts. The pitcher/catcher batteries warm-up together and ultimately pitch to the other players. The coaches have radar guns and take notes occasionally. 3 of the 4 pitchers look solid and since DD is a pitcher, I am rightfully a little concerned. The 4th pitcher is less experienced and has a hard time throwing with any real accuracy or velocity. When not pitching, DD plays some 1st base and outfield. She looks like she is holding her own against her peers. On a couple of occasions, I had to catch myself from not saying anything during tryouts. For example, when it was my DDs time to pitch, she was standing at the 43 foot pitching plate (12U is 40 feet) and I was concerned that she would be at a disadvantage to the other pitchers before her who pitched at 40 feet. Luckily before the first pitch, the coaches noticed the issue and corrected her. Whew! Disaster averted! (this moment of keeping my mouth shut will suit me well over the next 12 months).

So tryouts are complete on the second day and the players breakdown all of the equipment. The parents are standing around not knowing what is next. Are the coaches going to tip their hand of what they thought of the players? Nope, all they said was that some of the players will be notified sometime next week. The next day, I get a call from the assistant coach who lets me know that DD is being offered a position on the team. While thrilled, I have some concerns that the head coach's DD is also a pitcher and we all know this is not an ideal situation for the other pitchers on the team. I let the AC know my concerns and he assures me that daddy ball will not be happening on this team. I told him that is good to hear and that all I want is for my DD to be able to "compete" for playing time. I let him know that we appreciate the offer and have one more tryout but we will get back to him shortly. Quickly, DD decides this is the team she wants to play for and I call the coach back the next day and we accept their offer. 13 players join the team and the other 5 from tryouts are cut, including a close friend of DDs. We are excited however that several of the players that also accepted are family friends from our local rec. league.

Fall 2014

In general, the team will practice 3x a week (a team practice for 2 hours during the week, an optional conditioning practice for 1 hour, and a Sunday practice for 4 hours). When not practicing on Sunday, the team will either play a doubleheader scrimmage with a local team, a 4-game friendly which is normally 1 hour drive away or more, or a TCS/PGF qualifier tournament.
The first practice is 4 hours. Lots of conditioning and drills. DD seems ok with the rigors of travel ball practices. There are only two coaches and the players will run much of the drills themselves. In fact, the practices are well run and organized and the coaches have lots of good information and are fairly softball knowledgeable. However, the thought of another parent helping would probably result in the loss of your right arm.

One of our first friendlies, is an organizational workout by the largest TB org in the nation (we’ll call them the SoCal Flat Crackers (“FC)) at Big League Dreams. BLD are great parks for softball since all the fields are MLB replica fields and they serve alcohol! Few things better on a Sunday than drinking a draft beer, in an air-conditioned restaurant, watching your DD play softball while simultaneously seeing NFL games displayed on flat screen TVs. I could get used to this, but I digress…

The first thing that strikes me is that there are about 40 teams from the same FC organization. Since we are only playing FC teams this weekend, I’m thinking we have no chance to win as our team has been around for all of one month. Well, as luck would have it, the teams we played were basically rec teams that recently moved up to travel ball (kinda like our team). We went 4 – 0 that weekend, and the coaches were proud. However, we quickly came back down to reality during our first tournament where we went 2-2 and did not make it past the quarter finals. As a side note, all the players tried on sample cleats to be ordered and delivered to us in 4-6 weeks (10 months later we are still waiting for those damn cleats). We are told they are on back order but we find out that they ordered metal cleats (we are 12U) so they are no good to us.

One interesting note about the games is, for every error the team makes, all the players have to run poles (basically the length of the outfield foul poles) right after the game. Furthermore, the coaches have lots to say after the game and will hold the players “hostage” for 20 – 30 mins after every single game no matter if its 100 degrees out and we have been at the fields for 8 hours, it doesn’t matter. What do these coaches possibly have to say that couldn’t or wasn’t said during the game?

Feb 7, 2013
(cont)

Playing Time / Batting Order

So the SoCal Gold coaches are big on having lefty slappers who bat #1 and #2, come hell or high-water. This will be a common theme the next 10 months and in general, our team is not a very good hitting team by travel ball standards. I believe the great softball player Albert Einstein said insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. Well with us basically not changing the line-up much for months at a time, we owned this definition. As with the line-up, the defensive fielding positions were not rotated much and players were pigeon-holed into certain positions with little to no opportunity to compete otherwise. By October, two players left (the #3 catcher and a mostly bench player) for greener pastures. But we didn’t fear because the coaches had a great, master plan. Let’s bring on three more young (I’m talking 10U) players who are fast. Just what the team needed more small, fast kids that can’t hit the ball out of the infield. So even though two players left, we net gained one player and now have a team of 14 players. Shouldn’t be hard to keep this many families happy, is it?

What about the pitchers? So early on, the coaches would give equal playing time to the 3 pitchers (including my DD). Everyone pitched the same amount of innings and games. I do give the coaches credit for keeping their word about competing for time in the circle. The same seemed to be said about the catchers, they were rotated evenly each game and tournament. However, DDs close friend “had” the same position as the assistant coaches DD and so she had no shot at playing 3rd base (ever!). And no matter how much she takes hitting lessons and performs in the game, she bats near the bottom of the line-up. They thought about leaving mid-season, but just didn’t get the right offer and with the travel season complete in July, they decided to stick it out. As a side note, the coaches refuse to electronically score the book and everything is done manually, as that would generate too much of a burden for families to actually know their kids individual and team stats.

Winter Season

So we play more friendlies, scrimmages, and tournaments, diligently paying our dues each and every month. We were suppose to get team equipment like matching cleats (mentioned earlier) and back packs, but they are on “back order”. Since DD has no tread left on her cleats and the wheels on her roller bag are completely shot, I go to the local sporting goods store to buy her new equipment (even though I already paid for her team equipment which we will get some day, I think?). Another curious thing happens, the local fields where the team has practices is no longer available to us, so we have to drive twice as far for weekly practices. Interesting and frustrating….

The communication with the team is poor. We never really know where we are going to be any given weekend. Even the organization’s website hasn’t been updated since the Chicago Cubs last won the World Series. My DD is not really thinking about college right now (playing or otherwise) but if I was a 14/16U player and my TB org didn’t at least have me on an official roster and a short bio about me, I would be very pissed.

So in the winter season, SoCal Gold wins its first tournament in a depleted field of 15 teams and qualifies for the TCS/USSSA World Series in Utah. This tournament is option “B” for us in case we don’t qualify for the big dance at Premier Girls Fastpitch (PGF) Nationals this summer. As a side note, recently the coaches decided that for some inexplicable reason (competition not great, costs, other excuse?) that our team will NOT be going to Utah this summer. Thanks for saving us from this financial hardship, for a minute there I confused us for a real travel ball team where out of state travel might actually take place sometime during the season.

Spring Season 2015

So the concept of a team “going dark” was pretty foreign to me before travel ball. Apparently, if you play high school softball in SoCal, you are not allowed to play travel ball from around March to June 15th or so. I guess you can do some limited workouts with your TB team during this time but basically, 14U – 18U TB teams shutdown. Since we are a 12U team these restrictions should have no impact on my DD team, I thought. Well not so fast…some of the 14U players are 8th graders and since their team is going “dark” for three months, the org thought why not have them join our team for awhile and we can all play 14U friendlies. What a logical and perfect solution? Or not. So our already large team of 14 becomes 18 players. Fun to be had by all. This option for our 12U team to take on 4 more players and become a 14U team for a few months was never discussed with the players or parents even though we are the ones paying the dues and keeping the lights on for this org. I’m starting to realize that my expectation of what travel ball is, is not the same as reality.

Of course some parents complained that the team is too large and playing time would be an issue. So the answer was to break the team into two, 9 player teams and all would be good with the world again. Forget the fact that we are trying to build 12U team chemistry as we are going into fastpitch high season (i.e. attempting to qualified for a national tournament this summer) we have to keep the 4, 14U girls happy so they don’t quit and the org loses its dues each month.

Another dysfunctional example was the time we were playing in our first PGF qualifier. The second pitcher on our team was late to the warm-ups before the first game so the head coach decides to make an example of her and not pitch her all day even though the parents told the coaches she would be late. Our third pitcher and coaches DD, blew out her arm a few months earlier (likely from overuse) so my DD would be pitching every single inning of the 3 games that day (including a 9 inning ITB)! Let me recap. We have a second and available #2 pitcher and the coaches do not even warm her up. What is my DD got injured and we needed a second pitcher in a hurry? Who pitches then? So after the 3rd, grueling ITB game which we lost 2-1 and were done for the qualifier, all the coach says to me is “you better ice her arm”! I estimated that my DD pitched over 400+ pitches that day. I never had to ice her arm before but felt compelled to this time. Her bicep and shoulder were sore for 3 days and she was in no condition to play softball let alone pitch the next day had we made it to Sunday.

Summer Season 2015

So after trying to qualify for PGF Nationals, we fail miserably in fact we lost the first two games and were done the first day. The coaches thought that we might get a special invite but that announcement never comes. With the team in limbo, the coaches try to set-up some local tournaments / friendlies for us to play in while the other TB teams in our area are playing TCS and/or PGF nationals. With the writing on the wall that July will be a bust for our team, several starters leave the team to pick-up for other teams needing extra players for nationals. The irony is that now that our team is finally down to 11 players and everyone should be getting lots of playing time (and we finally got our bat bags), we have no real tournaments to play in and the season is essentially over.
Our last 3 game friendly is mercifully rained out by a rare July SoCal rainstorm and DD will never again play with this group of girls. The last communication with the coach this week was “practice cancelled”, something about being sick, blah blah blah….I did find it amusing that 1 month before the end of the season, the head of our org. who has never said one word to my DD for 10 months, approached her and was asking her several questions about her long term softball plans and was encouraging her to come back to the org in the fall to play on their 18U team. WTF?!, she just turned 13YO. As the good kid my DD is, she just smiled and walked away.

So the season ends on a whimper and I don’t even know if there will be a team party or if we have to return our batting helmets, team jerseys, etc. As August quickly approaches, we once again gear up for the insanity of the tryout season and will take another chance with a SoCal travel ball team, albeit not with these coaches or this organization. So is the life of a softball travel ball family…

Feb 7, 2013
Did your DD have fun?

At times she had fun but if she was to do it over again, she would not choose to be on this team. I think our whole family learned a lesson about making sure to attend several tryouts, ask lots of questions, and really determine what situation is best for DDs overall development. Hopefully this thread will help other families as they look for new travel ball teams this fall...

Oct 25, 2009
I've been through much of that with my DD and GDD. Been the cause of some of it in my early coaching years. There will always be imperfections, unfortunantly.

You do a great job with your documentary. Seriously! Hopefully, you will find a better season and your next documentary will be a positive one. Not meaning anything negative by that comment, either. That is good information for parents to consider.

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for such an informative post. Hope you have a great experience to share a year from now.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Sorry about your experience, as many know from a recent thread I posted DD is looking to make that transition from rec to TB. While unfortunate experience for you, your post has given me some good insight and things to consider while moving forward. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Very good read for sure. Our first year in travel ball went much better then yours it sounds like and we are returning to the same team next year as the fit is perfect for our DD. We are by no means an expert in all of this, actually quite the opposite to be honest, but one thing we have done a lot of is attend tournaments where teams that might be a fit at some point in the future are playing. This allows us to watch how the coach's, players and parents are "in the heat of the moment". It is very telling and I can say that they are certain teams/coaches that have been added to the not a chance in hell list. No plans to leave our current team but feel like if we did at some point we already know which organizations we would be most interested in trying out for and also which teams would be appropriate for where DD is at skill wise.

The upside is it sounds like you learned a lot and can use that to make your second year in TB more enjoyable. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2015
We are changing teams this year, mostly to give my dd a shot at A ball. But we did get a chance to watch the coach in action in a few games before we even went to the tryout, which was nice. We played against his team twice when we picked up with another team so we could see how he was with the girls and whether we thought it would be a good fit. Definitely glad we did that. In this case I think it is a good fit but if it hadn't been it would have saved us some time and misery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles