videotaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I videod all my girls hitting off the tee last weekend using my daughters Canon A480. Not sure the fps, but good enough for me to see their swing. I was able to see a lot more in slow motion than when they are hitting full speed in front of me.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Here is a comparison of the Flip and the Kodak. The guy is rather annoying and the Youtube is too long, but he does make several points. YouTube - Flip Mino HD vs Kodak Zi6 vs Flip Ultra Video Cameras

I also have a Kodak 7 mp still camera, but I always worry about taking it to the fields. If I am recording from the stands, it is great. But, it doesn't serve my purpose of shooting frames and it is difficult to pull any pics of off the movie, itself.

I didn't watch the young man long enough to know which company has the best support system and I haven't had to call either company. That might be something to consider.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Sometimes at summer tournaments here the hosts will have "sports photographers" going around taking action shots to sell to parents players.

I have been known to look at the photos either on-site or online to see if player has any flaws or problems that need addressed particularly after they may have struggled in a game. I then bring the student over to the stand or send them the link and we talk about.;)

May 5, 2009
Don't confuse the Zi6 with the Zi8, big improvements were made. Kodak is also releasing the Kodak Playsport in April. It has Zi8 guts with ruggedness and a glare screen option for outside shooting along with water protection. Disadvantage is no external mic.

Feb 16, 2009
FLIP Fantastic

I used my Flip in St. Louis exposure and the movie comes out great for how easy it is and how light and small it is. I am selling on ebay my sony digital camcorder we bought last summer and just using the Flip. We went to Div. I camp recently and the head coach told us parents not to pay for a professional DVD/video of our kids. She emphatically told us to use a Flip. She said she doesn't even listen to the intro of the girls that everyone does on a video - in fact she says she watches with the sound off. She doesn't want to hear the Black Eyed Peas while your dd's is taking her swings. She said don't shoot through the fence, don't give me game highlights of multiple girls - just give the first 45 seconds on a Flip of what your girl does best and another 2 minutes of her skills and post it on utube/provide a link. No $500 - $1000 video productions are necessary. She said a Div. I coach can see right away if your dd has it or not.

Oct 22, 2009
Sometimes at summer tournaments here the hosts will have "sports photographers" going around taking action shots to sell to parents players.

I have been known to look at the photos either on-site or online to see if player has any flaws or problems that need addressed particularly after they may have struggled in a game. I then bring the student over to the stand or send them the link and we talk about.;)

My parents will buy several or take their own pics in tournys's then give me a copy and tell me they only gave me the pics with the good form : )

just give the first 45 seconds on a Flip of what your girl does best and another 2 minutes of her skills and post it on utube/provide a link. No $500 - $1000 video productions are necessary. She said a Div. I coach can see right away if your dd has it or not.
Great idea. My DD's whole team spent $200 each on their videos and 75% of the team never even needed them.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
using burst mode

I purchased a 30fps cheap video camera and it works quite well, but there is some blurring in the arm circle. Download the free software from KINOVEA to review/slow down your videos. the software allows you to save the video in slow motion and you can use split screen to compare week to week etc. It works quite well. :D

We also have a Panasonic LUMIX 12.1 mp camera that takes video at 30fps, but the format restricts how the video can be manipulated (Quicktime). I have used the "burst" mode in still though and it works fantastic, but the frames are all stills. Not a replacement for video, but a decent way to look at your dd ptiching/hitting whatever during games that can be reviewed immediately on the screen of your camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck