Videos of my 10U DD taking cuts during batting practice, front toss from 20 feet,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Epstein puts the bat on the deltoid so that the drill also encourages keeping the hands back and not disconnecting. Doing it your way is fine. I use it both ways. But, putting the bat on the shoulder helps them learn to keep the arms out of the swing. Just turn and use the hands, and use the hands early, not late after pulling them from the shoulder.
Epstein didn't invent the concept, he just gave it a name. Former MLB player, Max Venable told me back in 1997 to have kids learn by getting the lower half set as in this drill.

IMO, until they learn the proper lower half position at contact (front leg straight, back leg bent, hips turned) not much else matters.

I've done the 'Torque Drill'and have had my DD practice it also. I see that it kind of fits with the way you show the swing. I may be wrong? The problem I have run across is after you remove the bat from the deltoid, Epstein kind of leaves you 'hanging' on what the hands should be doing. Again I may have missed Epsteins explaination of the hand usage. Seems when doing the Torque Drill a hitter pins the bat against the deltiod and rotates toward contact (I know theres more ). This does get you in the 'lag' position but, if you believe in the 'turning of the barrel' behind a 'corner' it seems that teaching conflicts. I had a problem with what the hands need/should do once you remove them from the deltoid.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Maybe try the Noontime drill:
Noontime Drill:
Here is the Allan Craig clip with some pauses thrown in. The first pause is the start of the "drill" see how the rear leg is already turning in and his upper is pulling back at that point. Start at the pause with those things happening. You should be able to launch at 50% effort (or something less than 100%) an essentially end at the second pause. Launch... from pause to pause. Apply the inward pressure and never let it go. Resist with everything above and never let it go.

ACraig_1Bview_rearleg.gif

Try it and feel it. I guarantee it is different than any swing mechanic you have tried, and certainly different than anything your words have describe thus far.

You've got balls don't you? Use em... apply the pressure to take your pocket to your junk and don't ever let it go. I don't care what you do with your stride. I don't care what you do with your elbow. I don't care what you do with your hands, I don't care what you do with your rear foot. Inward pressure with the leg, resist with everything above.... just like what is happening at the first pause. Create those opposing forces.. where they meet is in the rear hip... just try...learn to launch from there. Words words words... mean nothing until you try it and feel it.

Best of luck to you.
--NoonTime

I like this clip and the cycling of frames.

As you view it, consider this description of the golf swing from Jim McLean .... it is a description of 'step 4' in his 8-step description of the golf swing.

Step 4: Completion of the backswing. The upper body has completed its wind-up and coiling action. The uncoiling of the lower body is poised to lead the forward swing. But because the lower body initiates the down swing before the upper body actually finishes turning back, there is no defined end to one phase and the beginning of the next phase.

Mar 12, 2012
I used this drill ages ago. I used to call it the No. 2 drill because it was my second drill. The girls called it no. 2 for a different reason.

I used the word torquing this year trying to describe the feeling of throwing the barrel and the girls went crazy with giggles. They thought I was trying to say twerking. And twerking is something I wouldn't have been allowed to discuss in HS. I didn't know that word at the time.

The way I understand Epstein's Torque Drill is the bat start from resting on the deltoids. I want the bat in regular launch position.

Thanks SBP, My apologies If I may be the cause of confusion here. I may have been reading stuff on multiple sites that is causing me to not be able to properly direct who,what,where I saw stuff. Heck there is so much info that flies out daily.. but That's a good thing (I think)..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild