My 15 yo DD ...wanting to improve this off season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Hurrlers Dad & Gregg99

I used a Canon hf s10 vixia here. Maximum frame rate is 60 frames /per sec. Look into the Casio camcorder that gives you 300 frames per sec….that has been mentioned in previous threads. That would be more useful and is on my Christmas list.

Casio: Digital Camera Support | Casio Exilim

I use Final Cut on a mac for most of the stuff I do. Editing/splitting/synching/speed change . I use it because I have it and use it for other things. Any video editing software (Pc or mac) should do those things… even the software that comes with cameras. There are a bunch of them.

Video editing software: Video Editing Software Review 2011 | Video Editor Software | Video Editing - TopTenREVIEWS

On my pc laptop… I use Motion View. It converts different formats of video into avi format. You can mark things, take snap shots (such as I did in the original post) measure things, dual windows, dual shots, overlays, slow down etc. I got it for videoing batting practice as it captures straight from the camera live and they can see what we are talking about. I didn’t want my macs at the ball field around dirt, nor indoors around flying balls.

Motion view: Video Analysis Software

I can take clips I have done in Final Cut or any video editing software…move them to my pc …Motion view converts them into avi or I will capture straight into Motion view…where I can do analysis with Motion View… export still freeze frame images… save movie as avi format…then I use Microsoft gif animator to convert that avi to a gif…..then I can edit/mark/delete frames/change size etc… of the gif… using Adobe Fireworks or Image Ready (part of Photoshop) …(like the line in the level head shot).

Microsoft gif animator is free. Its very basic…doesn’t do a lot…but it does convert avi to gif…you can delete frames to make file smaller…you can create a loop there. There are a lot of other inexpensive programs that will allow you to mark up a gif. Just look for animated gif editors and test some trial versions..

Hope that helps!

Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember- You seem to have a wealth of knowledge about pitching mechanics, are you pitching coaches or a just good study when your DD's was being taught? If it is the former do either of you live in SoCal, if the latter do you have anyone to recommend in the area?

DD is a thrower (I like to call her a hurrler), velocity before command. Working on command now but she would benefit greatly from a coach who breaks down the mechanics like both of you and slugger have done.

Not just a dad..........I played and coached and gave pitching lessons long before I had kids.........When i did have a DD who eventually took up the game.......I taught her to pitch also.......She's now in the NCAA D1 record books in a few catergories.......But I digress.......She's 31 now.........;)

I don't recommend pitching coaches.........I find it's like lending money to reletives.......Often times it doesn't end up well for one reason or another..........IMO, you have to gain some knowledge of good mechanics......And find one that fits your goals mechanical vision.........Not everyone, no matter how good, is for everyone........

If you ever get up to Nor Cal send me a PM and I'll have a look........

Best Regards...........

P.S. I use Ulead gif animator 5 for animated gifs...........Motion pro........And V1 video analyzing software.......

P.S.S. Velocity FIRST is why I've had more then 30 pitchers sign at the D1 level over the past 15 years.........Velocity comes from good mechanics built into good atheletes, both natural and learned..........Control and movement comes from repetition.........

Last edited: