Videos of my 10U DD taking cuts during batting practice, front toss from 20 feet,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Makenzie's 10u dad,
I have been in the same position as you. I posted my DD ( I believe 11 at the time?) for help. The help I was looking for was maybe a tweak here and there. Boy was I wrong. What I thought was a good swing, because I played baseball and coached baseball. I was wrong in my teaching. I didn't know I was wrong because I was taught to 'squish the bug' and 'swing level' by good coaches. At first my feelings were hurt because the posters were talking about my DD. I didn't like what they had to say. the posters were being mean to my DD. I said I'm done with the site to many 'mean' posters. Thankfully I stayed and read alot of the older posts and asked questions, alot of question. Every question was answered I learned that the posters were right. I learned that my DD's swing needed alot of help. The so called 'mean' posters helped me and my DD alot. The posters are even welling to help if sometimes I maybe alittle 'know it all'. My DD has gotten way better. My DD would not have gotten better if it was just me or the coaches that she has on her team. For your DD's sake keep reading and posting. You are doing this for her and her teammates. Whoever replys to your posts truly wants to help you and your DD.

Aug 28, 2012
FFS,
Seems like a simple mistake to me. Makenzie's 10U dad thanked you for your original response here:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...g-practice-front-toss-20-feet.html#post175232

In the process of replying to you:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...g-practice-front-toss-20-feet.html#post175389
he quoted you, and looks like he put his reply within your quote box. Not a big deal, surely not the first time you have seen that happen. It's pretty clear what content was his and what content was the original post.

I'd bet Makenzie's 10U dad would even go back and edit his post to clear up the confusion if it was simply pointed out that in the process of replying he didn't close his [/quote ] correctly.

--NoonTime

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Noon, yes I have seen this before. Perhaps I’m sensitive to it. On somewhat rare occasions a HS parent will initiate an email dialog and then go back and edit some of my past replies. In every occasion it was a dishonest gesture … so when someone adds content to what I write I tend to raise an antenna.

Like you say, if this was an honest mistake then the individual will man up and make a correction. So far all I hear is dribble about them leaving.

Mar 12, 2012
This image (box 3) is the position I want the batter to start from in the "check swing" drill.

SBP, so when you say this " Have her swing just like she is doing. When she finishes her swing, have her freeze at that point."
Do you mean JUST before contact with the ball?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not answering for SBP but, here is a copy and paste of his explaination from the first page:
Use the "check swing" drill to begin with. It goes like this: Have her swing just like she is doing. When she finishes her swing, have her freeze at that point. Now, leaving her lower half where it is, bring the bat and shoulders back to where they started. Swing from that position. She will feel like a pretzel. You can use the tee, front toss, live pitch.

What this drill does quickly is giving them the feel of the lower half leading the swing. Once the lower half is leading, other things will fall in place so that you can start other fixes.

Be warned that this drill is uncomfortable (mostly awkward) but it has quick (within a couple days; couple hundred swings) results. Although it will make a noticeable difference quickly, it is just a start. Do it regularly until ...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe try the Noontime drill:
Noontime Drill:
Here is the Allan Craig clip with some pauses thrown in. The first pause is the start of the "drill" see how the rear leg is already turning in and his upper is pulling back at that point. Start at the pause with those things happening. You should be able to launch at 50% effort (or something less than 100%) an essentially end at the second pause. Launch... from pause to pause. Apply the inward pressure and never let it go. Resist with everything above and never let it go.

ACraig_1Bview_rearleg.gif

Try it and feel it. I guarantee it is different than any swing mechanic you have tried, and certainly different than anything your words have describe thus far.

You've got balls don't you? Use em... apply the pressure to take your pocket to your junk and don't ever let it go. I don't care what you do with your stride. I don't care what you do with your elbow. I don't care what you do with your hands, I don't care what you do with your rear foot. Inward pressure with the leg, resist with everything above.... just like what is happening at the first pause. Create those opposing forces.. where they meet is in the rear hip... just try...learn to launch from there. Words words words... mean nothing until you try it and feel it.

Best of luck to you.
--NoonTime

Mar 12, 2012
Not answering for SBP but, here is a copy and paste of his explaination from the first page:
Use the "check swing" drill to begin with. It goes like this: Have her swing just like she is doing. When she finishes her swing, have her freeze at that point.[Now, leaving her lower half where it is, bring the bat and shoulders back to where they started. Swing from that position. She will feel like a pretzel. You can use the tee, front toss, live pitch.

What this drill does quickly is giving them the feel of the lower half leading the swing. Once the lower half is leading, other things will fall in place so that you can start other fixes.

Be warned that this drill is uncomfortable (mostly awkward) but it has quick (within a couple days; couple hundred swings) results. Although it will make a noticeable difference quickly, it is just a start. Do it regularly until ...

Yep thanks, that's where I am getting confused, I think he means just before contact and not after. I am just trying to make sure I am clear on this.

Aug 28, 2012
Yep thanks, that's where I am getting confused, I think he means just before contact and not after. I am just trying to make sure I am clear on this.

No... take a full swing like you normally do... not a drill swing... just a regular old swing. At the end of the normal swing, after your "follow through"....freeze there. Now leave the lower half where it is...i.e. hips facing pitcher, and take the upper ("bat and shoulders") back towards a normal starting spot. Now swing from there.

Sounds like and absolutely terrible drill to reenforce hip spin, waist separation, upper body push mechanics but to each their own :)

Mar 12, 2012
No... take a full swing like you normally do... not a drill swing... just a regular old swing. At the end of the normal swing, after your "follow through"....freeze there. Now leave the lower half where it is...i.e. hips facing pitcher, and take the upper ("bat and shoulders") back towards a normal starting spot. Now swing from there.

Sounds like and absolutely terrible drill to reenforce hip spin, waist separation, upper body push mechanics but to each their own :)

Thanks NT, Is this similar to the one leg standing in the torque position drill?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole