Video on bat path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is the drill conducive to turning the barrel back towards the catcher? What if You had young girls who all they did was turn the barrel straight back and looped under every pitch up in the zone?

What are some drill you may use to resolve dumping the barrel?

If someone is turning the barrel "straight back" and "looping" under every pitch then they aren't turning the barrel correctly. Had a hitting session on that last night where the "swing down to" via "turning the barrel" was emphasized to produce a high percentage of line drives.

To answer your question ..... the way I believe you want it answered .....

One solution would be to have the hitter turn the barrel in a manner that would result in the ball being driven off of a tee to about 5' in front of the tee. What? You mean sort of like what John is doing here? Yes ... and No. Yes, the notion is to be 'compact' and remove the 'loop' ...... No, the notion is not to be 'army' but to properly turn the barrel. Also ... No, in that wouldn't be the stop point or end-goal as in this drill demonstration. From here you advance to 10' .... then 15' .... then 20' .... then 30' .... then 40' ... then 60' .... until you are producing line drives to the back of the cage wall with a loop-less compact "turning the barrel" swing.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If someone is turning the barrel "straight back" and "looping" under every pitch then they aren't turning the barrel correctly. Had a hitting session on that last night where the "swing down to" via "turning the barrel" was emphasized to produce a high percentage of line drives.

To answer your question ..... the way I believe you want it answered .....

One solution would be to have the hitter turn the barrel in a manner that would result in the ball being driven off of a tee to about 5' in front of the tee. What? You mean sort of like what John is doing here? Yes ... and No. Yes, the notion is to be 'compact' and remove the 'loop' ...... No, the notion is not to be 'army' but to properly turn the barrel. Also ... No, in that wouldn't be the stop point or end-goal as in this drill demonstration. From here you advance to 10' .... then 15' .... then 20' .... then 30' .... then 40' ... then 60' .... until you are producing line drives to the back of the cage wall with a loop-less compact "turning the barrel" swing.

Why do some get results without the focus on barrel turn while others have to teach it ?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm giving John the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he intentionally lied about the flight path of a riseball. He simply goofed IMO.

As for your diversion ..... I have not shied away from describing how I teach. I've taken the time to create 1000s of GIFs to help folks see what it is I'm attempting to describe. There are folks here that have visited me for personalized sessions .... some prefer to talk on the phone ... others send personalized videos via Youtube, etc ... and some simply present questions here, which is my preference since it opens up discussions for more to view. But a nice try with the diversion .... it doesn't change the fact that John got the concept incorrect and then went off on a tangent that failed to pass the Hanson Principle.

I propose a wager re whether JT understands the true path of a riseball. At stake for the loser, having to post thanks for OILF's next 10 posts.

I intended no diversion. It's simply something that re-surfaces frequently enough so that it merits continued exploration IMO. How many times have we seen and heard players (and coaches of players who have HLBB swings) who have a HLBB swing (MLBers and Bustos) provide descriptions, cues, and drills that conflict w/ the Hansen Principle and the players' game swings? If their perception is wrong, but the results are good, does it mean that they don't have a HLBB swing? Hence the sitting dog analogy, poor as it may have been. And, truth be told, your contributions have helped numerous parents/DDs either directly or indirectly (mine included), but you have NOT SHOWN how you teach. You've described it, provided drills, but you have not SHOWN how you teach and advance individual students - which IMO is the real challenge.

FWIW - Although I didn't make it clear, I include myself among those I characterized in the previous statement "...any fool can watch MLB and hours of video..."

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Why do some get results without the focus on barrel turn while others have to teach it ?
Way do some have to teach barrel turn and others get results without the focus on barrel turn?
My DD didn't just 'turn the barrel to the ball' we needed to focus on it. I believe from viewing the majority of the videos posted most DD's need to be taught to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. JMHO

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Way do some have to teach barrel turn and others get results without the focus on barrel turn?
My DD didn't just 'turn the barrel to the ball' we needed to focus on it. I believe from viewing the majority of the videos posted most DD's need to be taught to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. JMHO

Does barrel turn also fix the sequence? Is it possible a swing in sequence will turn the barrel naturally? I can understand the need for a conscious effort of turning the barrel when your swing is one legged though.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I propose a wager re whether JT understands the true path of a riseball. At stake for the loser, having to post thanks for OILF's next 10 posts.

I intended no diversion. It's simply something that re-surfaces frequently enough so that it merits continued exploration IMO. How many times have we seen and heard players (and coaches of players who have HLBB swings) who have a HLBB swing (MLBers and Bustos) provide descriptions, cues, and drills that conflict w/ the Hansen Principle and the players' game swings? If their perception is wrong, but the results are good, does it mean that they don't have a HLBB swing? Hence the sitting dog analogy, poor as it may have been. And, truth be told, your contributions have helped numerous parents/DDs either directly or indirectly (mine included), but you have NOT SHOWN how you teach. You've described it, provided drills, but you have not SHOWN how you teach and advance individual students - which IMO is the real challenge.

FWIW - Although I didn't make it clear, I include myself among those I characterized in the previous statement "...any fool can watch MLB and hours of video..."

As I stated in my earlier post .... there are folks that visit this message board that come to me for hitting instruction ... they get to see my work first hand ..... and to the best of my intent, the descriptions I freely share here are meant to duplicate what I instruct during hitting sessions. It isn't like I teach one thing and then attempt to describe something completely different.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Does barrel turn also fix the sequence? Is it possible a swing in sequence will turn the barrel naturally? I can understand the need for a conscious effort of turning the barrel when your swing is one legged though.

Keep fishing. You're getting 'skunked'.
Austin-K-HipShoulder-Separation.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Rdbass, just trying to keep it real.. Barrel turn has been way over played.. Fix the sequence and let it happen..

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Barrel turn has been way over played..
When I start to see majority of DD's or DS's posted on this site and other sites 'turning the barrel to the ball forward' then I will agree with your statement. Untill then....
Kids learn to 'turn the barrel forward to the ball'.:p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd