Video on bat path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It isn't physically possible to throw a riseball with this profile, and at this height relative to the batter, from the regulation pitching distance.

246779s.jpg

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is what I call a "CHIPPER," and I think it should be avoided. I want the barrel getting on the path of the pitch directly behind the point of contact. That ain't what's happening here, as that AIN'T no realistic pitch path. Not even close.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Point well made RDB.

In order to have the upward slope shown in the original video, while crossing over the plate, the pitch would have to be above the strike zone ... as shown in your top GIF.

In order to hit the top of the strike zone the riseball needs to level off and flatten out ... as shown in the bottom two GIFs.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Point well made RDB.

In order to have the upward slope shown in the original video, while crossing over the plate, the pitch would have to be above the strike zone ... as shown in your top GIF.

In order to hit the top of the strike zone the riseball needs to level off and flatten out ... as shown in the bottom two GIFs.

That being said, I think at most, the barrel would travel close to level with the ground on pitches at the top of the strike zone. And, you ought not be swinging at those unless you have two strikes and the umpire is calling the top of the zone.

With less than two strikes or an umpire who isn't calling the top third of the zone (quite common around here), the batter should lay off those pitches. Therefore, the ones she's be swinging at are dropping as they cross the plate--need a slight upward bat path to match pitch path.

no?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That being said, I think at most, the barrel would travel close to level with the ground on pitches at the top of the strike zone. And, you ought not be swinging at those unless you have two strikes and the umpire is calling the top of the zone.

With less than two strikes or an umpire who isn't calling the top third of the zone (quite common around here), the batter should lay off those pitches. Therefore, the ones she's be swinging at are dropping as they cross the plate--need a slight upward bat path to match pitch path.

no?

Me ... one of the first things I attempt to learn in a game is what the top of the umpire's strike zone is.

I want to learn quickly if I can zone the pitcher low. I want to attack the bottom of the strike zone if that is where a pitcher primarily throws strikes.

Now if a pitcher throws strikes towards the top of the umpires called strike zone ... then that becomes part of my attack zone, and I'll attack it with less than two strikes without a second thought.

Learn the umpire and learn the pitcher ..... and attack, attack, attack.

If you can gain a zoning advantage over the opposing team then you pick up a nice advantage.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi