Video on bat path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ever think that maybe it was intentional?

If a dog is trained to sit in response to the command "Roll Over", would you claim that the dog can't sit properly?

It's not the "WHAT" that's the hard part - any fool can watch MLB and hours of slow mo video. The hard part is HOW to teach the WHAT. I can respect that you're not inclined to show HOW you teach, but IMO that puts you on weak footing to critique some other instructor or coach who shows HOW they achieve the desired goal using "intentionally misleading" cues and non-compliant Hansen Principle drills.

I'm giving John the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he intentionally lied about the flight path of a riseball. He simply goofed IMO.

As for your diversion ..... I have not shied away from describing how I teach. I've taken the time to create 1000s of GIFs to help folks see what it is I'm attempting to describe. There are folks here that have visited me for personalized sessions .... some prefer to talk on the phone ... others send personalized videos via Youtube, etc ... and some simply present questions here, which is my preference since it opens up discussions for more to view. But a nice try with the diversion .... it doesn't change the fact that John got the concept incorrect and then went off on a tangent that failed to pass the Hanson Principle.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Right .... there is no way you would teach arm action like what is shown.

My guess is that anyone who has ever faced a riseball ... or any pitch for that matter .... knows that what is being taught here won't work in a real game situation ... and through experience they abandoned any notion of the drill with the goal of getting the job done.

Me ... I don't want any of this arm action .... I want to arc the barrel at Go!, ... with a goal of getting the barrel behind the ball and releasing it with 'direction'. I let the arc take care of itself. If you wish to be 'compact', then you take care of business 'RitNow!'.

There is no need to teach umpteen swings ..... it isn't like I'm going to see the ball and select a particular swing .... I'm simply going to turn the barrel to the ball ..... RitNow!

Five, we know how Rich turn's the barrel can You show us your version and how you teach it as part of the sequence?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Turning the barrel to the rise ball:
2a7eelk.gif

s12ubs.jpg

21jvxuu.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like it Rdbass... Have You been working with your daughter on this?
I work on a lot of hitting stuff with my DD. I guess that's why at 16 she still is able to play.
Have you been working on this with your son or DD?
Edit: Her problem is not staying off the low ball/drop.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I work on a lot of hitting stuff with my DD. I guess that's why at 16 she still is able to play.
Have you been working on this with your son or DD?

Not with my Son but my daughter for sure... Do a lot of bounce drills simulating the ball coming up in the zone..

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not with my Son but my daughter for sure... Do a lot of bounce drills simulating the ball coming up in the zone..

OK so you are a.... then why are you getting miffed at me?
Look I know what you were trying to get at. I read a real lot. On all of the cool kid hitting sites. I think I know what to show/teach my DD and what to stay away from. Don't you think?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rdbass,do you think the arm action results were the same with every hitter??? All I am saying is he got results with the drill or he wouldn't use it... Is it a bandaid drill?? maybe but who cares if he gets results?

The thought should be on 'how' he achieves results ..... and this drill isn't it.

The notion isn't to take information blindly. The Hanson Principle could care less if he is a nice person or not ..... it's about the extraction of good information .... and this drill flawed in that regard. Doesn't matter if he is a former friend of yours .... the Hanson Principle doesn't factor that in.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The thought should be on 'how' he achieves results ..... and this drill isn't it.

The notion isn't to take information blindly. The Hanson Principle could care less if he is a nice person or not ..... it's about the extraction of good information .... and this drill flawed in that regard. Doesn't matter if he is a former friend of yours .... the Hanson Principle doesn't factor that in.

Doesn't matter if he is a former friend of yours ..
OH....I can understand loyalty to a friend. Now I understand the 'miffed' part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67