video analysis please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you have the Hillhouse DVD? It would help you, I think. I just got it and am learning his terminology, but it is helpful for a girl her age.

I could not have pitched in a gym like that (too many balls flying around.) What was that? A clinic? Open gym? It would have been Gameface time for me, for certain. :)

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Boardmember, Hal-She quite often complains of a sore shoulder. would that be caused by the out of whack arm circle? also, when she has control problems, she consistantly throws the ball outside ( rarely inside). would the arm circle be the culprit here also?? for a while I blamed the outside pitches on her not getting open enough & pitching around her hip, but I feel she is doing a real good job of that now, in fact I wonder if she isnt staying too open for too long & not getting any drive from the hip closing.

Amy- I do have the Hillhouse cd(out on loan right now) & would highly reccomend it also. This video was taken during an open gym for our travel organization & its awfully busy down there. I have fixed my basement up for pitching & that is a lot better!!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Boardmember, Hal-She quite often complains of a sore shoulder. would that be caused by the out of whack arm circle? also, when she has control problems, she consistantly throws the ball outside ( rarely inside). would the arm circle be the culprit here also?? for a while I blamed the outside pitches on her not getting open enough & pitching around her hip, but I feel she is doing a real good job of that now, in fact I wonder if she isnt staying too open for too long & not getting any drive from the hip closing.

Amy- I do have the Hillhouse cd(out on loan right now) & would highly reccomend it also. This video was taken during an open gym for our travel organization & its awfully busy down there. I have fixed my basement up for pitching & that is a lot better!!

Hi Lane,

Difficult for me to tell from this video. My best guess would be her timing is off with the arm circle at the exact instant of landing foot touchdown. It does not have to be off much for them to have a pain that is sort of on the top of the shoulder socket or in front of the shoulder socket or both spots.

If it is off enough, it doesnt take but 8 or 10 pitches for it to start hurting and hurting enough they will not want to continue. If the timing is off a little bit, might not feel it much until after a practice session. It can linger on into the next day and still feel irritated. Usually gone in 2 days with rest.

I would not expect shoulder pain fram a 'Arm circle hoola-hoop' that is tilted'.

Put a line of blue painters tape down the middle of a full length mirror. Then have her position herself about 10 or so feet away (or however far away where she can go through the motions and see the ball at the top of the circle) so the ball at her side is on line with the blue tape. Then slowly practice her arm circle WITH A ROLLED UP PAIR OF BRIGHT COLORED SOCKS, NO SOFTBALL! Keep the socks on the line through the entire arm circle. Dont forget the little bend in the elbow. Practice that and then speed up the circle again, keeping the socks on the line the entire time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to the sore shoulder, ask her where it hurts. If she points to the front of the shoulder, it likely is a strained bicep tendon. (See the attached picture.)

Underhand pitching stresses the bicep tendon. If it is a strain, she needs to treat it just like any other muscle strain--i.e., she needs to rest the arm fora week or two.

Jul 14, 2008
Lane......

Identifying root causes for shoulder pain usually stem from undue stress being placed on the socket...and the muscles/tendons/ligaments that stablize the joint........

I want you to watch this clip very carefully......paying particular attention to the elbow........

bhajy1.gif

Your DD.....as I previously stated has arm circle and mechanical flaws over the top that can induce tremendous stress on the shoulder IMO......

If you watch carefully......as her arm transitions over the top from a severe inside postition.....her elbow actually turns over OUTWARD very briefly.......

This is a funtion of transverse lateral (external) rotation of the upper arm turning outward to face her elbow behind her head........Coupled with rotation of the forearm that actually puts her hand on top of the ball for a brief moment.......Before the stress causes her to repositoin it as she works down the back........

If you simply try this move yourself in slow motion you'll feel it........as you transition over the top.....externally rotate your arm so your elbow trys to face behind your head as you move over the top and your hand gets on top of the ball facing backwards......feel the stress places on the shoulder as the this happens.......

After you reach this position of severe shoulder stress.......simply turn your hand back to facing the pitcher and allow your elbow to fall back toward third, away from your head.......and feel the intense release of pressure from the shoulder........

This is what your DD is experiencing IMO.......

bhajy1.gif

I'd actually expect some elbow problems to arrise out of this move eventually as well.....

Understanding that most women....and expecially young females are very limber.......Pain in the shoulder area is significant at this point in her life and should be corrected as soon as possible before things begin to tighten and damage occurs.......

My advise if free.....so take it for what it's worth........

Aug 21, 2008
I am not going to lie, some times the discussions here are way over my head. But from what I see, her sore shoulder is likey because she gets absolutely no bend in her elbow from start (back swing motion) to the down swing (elbow and ball reach release point at same time). This means she's throwing with almost ALL arm. That would make anyone sore. Imagine trying to throw a ball overhand with a straight arm. You won't last long.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles