Very confused--need help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The fastball can be thrown either way, topspin or bulletspin. In many cases it depends on how you define it. I heard Cat Osterman talk and she said that she threw her drop (peel) 60% of the time, later she said that her fastball had corkscrew spin. Up until that time I always believed that a fastball had topspin. I used to teach the topspin fastball but have relented in cases where the girl had trouble learning to use IR to whip the ball. Bulletspin is also football spin and the underhand football toss has been useful in teaching IR. Another thing in favor of bulletspin is that the hand/arm position coming into release is a precursor to the rise and the curve. The bottom line is that she has to use IR, whatever encourages that is the action to use. If you are not sure then get some high shutter speed video for feedback. I have also seen plenty of phony arm finishes where the girl uses IR, throws a topspin fastball then turns the palm up and points the elbow to satisfy the PC who pats her on the back and doesn't have a clue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA