Using a Heavy Bag for working on hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
But I didn't say anything about the Axe Bat! If we posted it, I bet we would have somone thinking it was a real training device. CB and Howard has a good laugh , when one of CB's friends thought it was a real training device! That was a good one we played on him!

10 years ago we didn't know better. I was guilty , but didn't let the big guy know it!

May 12, 2008
Try to keep in perspective most of these kids we are talking about are females and do not have the forearm strength or wrist strength the potential major league player has or will have. .

I hate to keep belaboring the heavy bag because I don't use it that much but if strength is a factor or you are shocking the joints, hands or arms you aren't using the heavy bag correctly. All momentum/energy should already be transferred to the bat at impact with no pushing from the hands/arms at that point.

Practice smarter not dangerously with a sound reason or logic..

Agreed.

Without naming the team, every girl on the team was having shoulder issues and I jokingly said what are you doing hitting basketballs and both parents who happened to be coaches said yes!.

Absolutely on the same page with you here. Basketballs and tires are awful. Heavy bag use is of an entirely different nature. People are trying to move basketballs and tires and or they have rebound.

We played against team Venezuela and their coaches do not use these drills and they were good hitters and are fundamentally sound they need pitching however..

???.

Look at the differences in male/ female ACL injuries by just going to Google and type in female ACL injuries...it is an education and starts from the ground up and being in a strong balance athletic position so all drills are not created or done equally.

The female differences would be a good thread... .

Basketballs and tires are awful for both sexes as a hitting tool.

This was posted by two good hitting coaches. Howard Carrier and ifubuildit, who you know Mark. Both do not like you hitting any heavy object. I have seen too many females injured hitting basketball, tires and punching bags.

Agree on the basketball and tires. If the hitter is experiencing the same sort of trauma using the heavy bag they should immediately know they are doing it wrong highlighting a swing flaw. I have no problem with never using a heavy bag but I'd like you, since you teach, to understand the difference here because it's an important part of understanding hitting. Pleas ask ifubuildit to remind me to go over the differences with him next time I'm in Dallas.

May 12, 2008
Turning into a chain link fence with an old bat is another option. Put your lead foot against the fence and turn into it. That will force you to uncock the wrists on time. ;) You'll get punished for having the contact point too far out in front. Quick.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I agree hitting partially deflated basketballs/volley balls/soccer balls puts too much stress on the wrists. When I read of this method to increase hitting power I tried it with a deflated soccer ball on a tee and after just one swing I knew it was a bad idea since I could feel the strain on my wrists. The heavy bag is different in that I'm not trying to hit it hard - instead it's acting almost as a trampoline does - the bat makes contact then rebounds back. At this point I'm able to check body position at contact.

Jul 21, 2008
I think the heavy bag is a great tool for reason already posted if used correctly. This is NOT something that is used to increase power but to check for correct body and bat position at contact.

Sep 14, 2009
When you say use a heavy bag for hitting, does that mean you will hit against it?

Hitting on a heavy bag or tire is not advisable because it teaches bad mechanics. It hinders one to follow through and the impact on the bag may cause stress on your joints.

I agree that repetitive swings on the bag would be bad, but my daughters coach uses a pole with a pad (same Concept) to look at their form at the point of contact. It freezes your form and you can see arm, shoulder, hips and feet position as they make contact. I think it is a valuable tool for that purpose, But as you said I would not do it on a regular basis.
PlaySundaySoftball
Play Sunday Softball

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I agree that repetitive swings on the bag would be bad, but my daughters coach uses a pole with a pad (same Concept) to look at their form at the point of contact. It freezes your form and you can see arm, shoulder, hips and feet position as they make contact. I think it is a valuable tool for that purpose, But as you said I would not do it on a regular basis.
PlaySundaySoftball
Play Sunday Softball

I agree - it's not meant to be used with a hundred repetitions. An example: after coming home from softball practice last night I asked what her coach mentioned to her about her swing to confirm what I saw (she was raising up her body while rotating a few times so swinging over the ball). We went to the heavy bag and I had her swing 10 times and freezing at contact (just after the bat makes contact and ricochets back actually). At this point she was able to review her form and it helped her understand better what her coach told her.

May 7, 2008
DFW
There are better ways to check form

I left a comment on the video thread before I saw this one. One of the best methods in my opinion is something Mark is familiar with from another site. Its called a stop swing.

You have your hitter set up then place a ball on the tee. The object is to have the hitter start the swing at full speed and just before contact try to STOP the bat. Most will tap the ball off the tee trying this drill for the first time.

At that point check their form to see if the body is in the correct position at contact. Make corrections as needed and go again. Works just as well as hitting a bag or any other object. Its also much safer on the hitter.

Here is another reason for not hitting a bag and I am talking from personal experience. I have a heavy bag at my place. Its one of those on a base that you can fill up with water or sand. DO NOT use these for this drill!! The first time I did this with a student the bat bounced off the bag and flew back and hit her in the head. TRUE STORY.

I can see a bunch of parents going out right now and buying one of these instead of a hanging model and finding out the hard way like I did with the one I have at my place.

Dana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet