Using a Heavy Bag for working on hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I dusted off my old heavy bag today and hung it up so I could have another option for burning off some calories from my 40-something body. I also have an old wood tee ball bat laying around the garage from many years ago. Since I'm in the process of learning Mike Epstein's hitting method I thought I'd try using both for working on swinging to (not through) the contact zone. It seems like it is a good way to check body position at contact, plus it lets me work on swinging at different levels.

Has anyone tried this method? If not what are your thoughts? Maybe more importantly what are my neighbors thinking?! :D

Maybe I'll post a video...

May 12, 2008
Yes, a heavy bag is a very useful hitting training too. Mankin is big on this. I've used it a lot myself.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
When you say use a heavy bag for hitting, does that mean you will hit against it?

Hitting on a heavy bag or tire is not advisable because it teaches bad mechanics. It hinders one to follow through and the impact on the bag may cause stress on your joints.

May 12, 2008
When you say use a heavy bag for hitting, does that mean you will hit against it?

Hitting on a heavy bag or tire is not advisable because it teaches bad mechanics.

Why?

It hinders one to follow through

That's the point.

and the impact on the bag may cause stress on your joints.

Not if you do it right. The W/whip/wrist uncocking portion of the swing should be substantially complete at bag contact and there should be little to no stress on the joints. It's useful for checking body and bat position at impact as well as mandating contact point depth.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Lia, when hitting the heavy bag I'm not attempting to follow through - that would hurt! Instead I'm attempting to stop the swing at impact so the bat makes some light contact and allows me to "freeze" in a good contact position. This is similar, I think, to stopping the swing just before contact when a ball is placed on a tee. The advantage by making some contact is it gives feedback on balance and position as well.

Another thing I like is it helps determining positioning when making contact. If I'm too close or too far forward for example I can tell immediately I'm out position because of the jammed feeling when making contact.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
In my opinion you do not want to come to a sudden stop when swinging the bat especially with your elbow away from you and your wrist away as it puts too much stress on the shoulder wrists and elbow...no trainers I know support this technique or position especially for younger kids that are still growing.

We do a progression ball drill for bat speed and our kids do just fine with the bag or basketballs and no one is having wrist elbow or shoulder issues. As an adult try it yourself and tell me how you feel after a few swings...

May 12, 2008
Lia, when hitting the heavy bag I'm not attempting to follow through - that would hurt! Instead I'm attempting to stop the swing at impact so the bat makes some light contact .

Done well you should be able to have the bat make contact at fairly high speed without stress on the hands or joints. If you the bat isn't moving fairly fast you haven't created whip/the double pendulum/good wrist uncocking. At contact, the bat should be approaching parallel to the lead forearm.

May 12, 2008
In my opinion you do not want to come to a sudden stop when swinging the bat especially with your elbow away from you and your wrist away as it puts too much stress on the shoulder wrists and elbow...no trainers I know support this technique or position especially for younger kids that are still growing.

We do a progression ball drill for bat speed and our kids do just fine with the bag or basketballs and no one is having wrist elbow or shoulder issues. As an adult try it yourself and tell me how you feel after a few swings...

Done it many times. No stress no strain. Felt fine. Done poorly, it can cause problems just as you say.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Try to keep in perspective most of these kids we are talking about are females and do not have the forearm strength or wrist strength the potential major league player has or will have.

We hit a weighted ball that is about 10.8 ounces and others that are 11.8 ounces. I am not exactly sure however I think a regular softball weighs about 6.75 ounces so it provides resistance verses coming to a complete stop which is were the stress on the elbow, shoulder and wrists take a beating. Practice smarter not dangerously with a sound reason or logic.

Without naming the team, every girl on the team was having shoulder issues and I jokingly said what are you doing hitting basketballs and both parents who happened to be coaches said yes!

We played against team Venezuela and their coaches do not use these drills and they were good hitters and are fundamentally sound they need pitching however.

Look at the differences in male/ female ACL injuries by just going to Google and type in female ACL injuries...it is an education and starts from the ground up and being in a strong balance athletic position so all drills are not created or done equally.

The female differences would be a good thread...

This was posted by two good hitting coaches. Howard Carrier and ifubuildit, who you know Mark. Both do not like you hitting any heavy object. I have seen too many females injured hitting basketball, tires and punching bags.

Oct 14, 2008
Try to keep in perspective most of these kids we are talking about are females and do not have the forearm strength or wrist strength the potential major league player has or will have.

We hit a weighted ball that is about 10.8 ounces and others that are 11.8 ounces. I am not exactly sure however I think a regular softball weighs about 6.75 ounces so it provides resistance verses coming to a complete stop which is were the stress on the elbow, shoulder and wrists take a beating. Practice smarter not dangerously with a sound reason or logic.

Without naming the team, every girl on the team was having shoulder issues and I jokingly said what are you doing hitting basketballs and both parents who happened to be coaches said yes!

We played against team Venezuela and their coaches do not use these drills and they were good hitters and are fundamentally sound they need pitching however.

Look at the differences in male/ female ACL injuries by just going to Google and type in female ACL injuries...it is an education and starts from the ground up and being in a strong balance athletic position so all drills are not created or done equally.

The female differences would be a good thread...

This was posted by two good hitting coaches. Howard Carrier and ifubuildit, who you know Mark. Both do not like you hitting any heavy object. I have seen too many females injured hitting basketball, tires and punching bags.

You just had to throw tires in there diddnt you lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06