Thoughts on why DD's bats keep breaking at connection?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
DD has broken 2 LXTs and one Xeno in the last year. All at connection. The Xeno literally snapped in half - the LXTs wobble horribly and you can twist them at connection. She uses an old Xeno off pitching machines - not her "game bat". She takes good care of her equipment - bringing stuff in the house when it's cold, not throwing her bat, doesn't hit her metal cleats with it...

Someone suggested she should try a heavier bat? She is 5'7" and maybe 115 lbs? She has been swinging a 33/23 for a couple years now. Not a power hitter (although she just put her 1st one over the fence about 3 weeks ago and has hit 2 more over since!) She is mostly a Slapper/contact hitter.

We can't even get a replacement from Slugger - all their bats are back ordered. Sigh. So we picked up a Ghost because we needed something quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Either really bad luck or she is hitting it too close to that point too often...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing I've noticed recently is how bats get tossed around on the field, and how often they're landing in ways that can add to the stress at the handle-barrel connection.

Jan 8, 2019
I watched a very new looking (clean, anyway) GA fold in half after the player hit a little squib foul ball right on the connection point. Had she barreled up, this hit would not have had the momentum to make it to an outfielder!

Everyone on her team, including her, thought it was hilarious! I’m pretty sure I heard her parents react differently!

Oct 4, 2018
Either really bad luck or she is hitting it too close to that point too often...

I've watched two girls recently put really good, hard swings on fast pitches in the last few weeks that broke their bats. Both were hit off the handle.

Both were bats that were either new or recently cleaned, and both left a ball mark within two inches of the connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles