Use of Sabermetrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Another thing is intentional outs. Games vs. Poor pitching lead to stepping off early. To end the inning when the game is out of hand but not yet at the time limit or innings played.

You cannot charge your own players with a caught stealing when you have them lead off early.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sabermetrics says your best hirers (WOBA) should bat in this order

1,4,5,2,3 then 6,7,8,9

Did something change since The Book was released? The Book goes 1, 4, 2, 5, 3.

Also, while platoon advantage isn't much of a thing in softball (I don't think), the 6, 7, 8, 9 part is correct, but what's more important is alternating your left- and right-handed hitters. IOW, if 6 and 7 are righties and 8 is a lefty, you're better off moving the hitter up a spot. But again, that's more of a baseball thing.

But also: Lineups, at least at the Major League level, don't actually matter nearly as much as people think they do.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ab are not plate appearances.
Stated i was missing games from my data also....
Also missing reach on error, fielders choice etc

If i had to guess im missing about 10 games of data i need to transfer over from fall.

I may be misunderstanding you here, so my bad if so, but ROE and FC are both at bats. In both cases it's an 0-1.

Jul 31, 2019
Did something change since The Book was released? The Book goes 1, 4, 2, 5, 3.

Also, while platoon advantage isn't much of a thing in softball (I don't think), the 6, 7, 8, 9 part is correct, but what's more important is alternating your left- and right-handed hitters. IOW, if 6 and 7 are righties and 8 is a lefty, you're better off moving the hitter up a spot. But again, that's more of a baseball thing.

But also: Lineups, at least at the Major League level, don't actually matter nearly as much as people think they do.
You are correct, looks like I accidentally switched the 5 and 2

Jul 31, 2019
Keep 2 sets of stats.. 1 for games vs. good teams and 1 for all games.

We play 3 to 5 games vs. Poor pitching and that can skew the numbers.

I tag the games as a league for the good teams and non-league for the easier teams. You can then export just the tougher games.

Jul 31, 2019
I love stats. And I appreciate the advanced / modern stats we are talking about.

But when I hear saber metrics I think MLB advanced regression and statistical analysis. Not only is the sample size too small, the collected data could be very iffy. Most all all, the truth is there are not a whole of people capable of actually doing the MLB style analysis that drives these decisions.
I guess it depends on how you use it. I'm only using it to help me build my line-up.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I simply think the sample size is too small.

And by time I'm comfortable with the sample size, the season is basically over.

Agree with this. Probably an age-group component here too. There's so much development at such rapid pace at the younger ages, that carrying over stats from say, fall to spring can be misleading. Maybe at 14U and up you may get value over a longer term period stats.

Also, through our first fall of 12u, I can definitively say I haven't won or lost a game because our best hitter was in the 2 or the 4 slot.

Jun 8, 2016
Baseball and softball have been "solved" under the current rule sets. We know when to steal/bunt/slap and just as important, when not too. We know how to optimize our lineups. We know when to throw strikes and when to intentional throw balls. We know how and when to shift our defense all over the field.
Don't know a lot about sabermetrics but I would assume success rate (for example for steals of second) would play into the decision correct? This would depend upon knowledge of your own team and the other team and the latter is often lacking at the amateur level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13