Use of Sabermetrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
I developed a quick Excel application that allows me to take the exported GC stats and with in minutes it updates my sabermetrics including player rankings and a green, yellow, red scale for performance.

Oct 4, 2018
I developed a quick Excel application that allows me to take the exported GC stats and with in minutes it updates my sabermetrics including player rankings and a green, yellow, red scale for performance.

So did I. :)

I have a few girls over .500 -- I need a new category for them. Should it be:

A) Extraordinary
B) Super Duper
C) More Great
D) Shouldn't be playing on a B-level team anymore

Mar 7, 2016
So did I. :)

I have a few girls over .500 -- I need a new category for them. Should it be:

A) Extraordinary
B) Super Duper
C) More Great
D) Shouldn't be playing on a B-level team anymore

over .500 for weighted on base average? and more than one? Thats pretty good.

Im curious now how many others have players over .500?

Oct 4, 2018
over .500 for weighted on base average? and more than one? Thats pretty good.

Im curious now how many others have players over .500?

3 do. So this is a 10U B team, with one player who could easily play A ball.

She had 42 at bats, 21 hits, 12 of which were extra bases. Very legit scoring, but suspect defense and very straight pitches with almost zero change-ups. Obviously the numbers will come down as they get older and competition gets better.

Jul 31, 2019
Sabermetrics is a fairly simple math equation and you can customize it to your own criteria. As an example, I added k’s looking as a negative influence and increased the weighting on walks

I wouldn’t get hung up on having some A level players performing way above the rest of you team if your simply using it to build your line up

Mar 7, 2016
Sabermetrics is a fairly simple math equation and you can customize it to your own criteria. As an example, I added k’s looking as a negative influence and increased the weighting on walks

I wouldn’t get hung up on having some A level players performing way above the rest of you team if your simply using it to build your line up

You must have some legit score keepers as I have zero way of know if a SO was looking or not.

I decided to take my data to another level. Using game changer I ran stats from opposing teams in my next tournament. (if that ever happens). Just took each teams last 10 games. You can really learn a lot about a team both offense and defense on these stats. Ya the data could be skewed based on competition so I only chose to record games that were within 4 runs score difference to weed out the blowout games. I immediately began to see who the hitters on each team were, who the speedsters on the bases were, percentage a pitcher threw strikes and percentage you would see a first pitch strike.

Even teams that dont use GC, as long as your opponent did then you can get stats.

I could really see how this date in a game situation could give a team an edge especially calling pitches when one girl has a .900 slug and next up has a .10 on base avg. Just an example thats exaggerated but you get my point. Same on offense, girl throwing a .800 first strike percentage Im telling my girls be aggressive first pitch.

Dec 11, 2010
@SESwildfire, if you are a local team and hold tryouts you should have this data on your opponents on hand. You know exactly how those players perform against your level of pitching.

This is why scorekeepers should enter names not numbers.

There are surprises in this data. Players that are perceived as hotshots by their coaches and the rest of the world might not be. The kid another coach has low in the lineup might be a top performer.

My wife kept score and I had good data on local players. When a team dd was on merged with another local team, one of the other teams coaches family members was a .400 hitter according to him. Against our teams pitching she was a .250 hitter. .250 hitters usually continue to be .250 hitters.

Mar 7, 2016
@SESwildfire, if you are a local team and hold tryouts you should have this data on your opponents on hand. You know exactly how those players perform against your level of pitching.

We played over 50 different teams last year alone, no way I have this data for that many teams. Very few if any local teams that play travel around here.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I take our teams GC data and put it in a sheet I built that shows trend lines for each girl with batting average and OBP, along with the team averages for both. That way coaches can parents can see who's improving, who's struggling, and how they compare to the team average as well. Just for fun! Example for one girl below.

Attachments

• Chart.png
    Chart.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 14

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802