Use of Sabermetrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
just curious how many coaches out there use sabermetrics for building line-ups. I was introduced to it a few years ago and sware by it now.

Feb 12, 2014
I guess it depends on how you define sabrmetrics. I don't have access to statcast data which is really where sabrmetrics is now. You also can't make park adjustments like true sabrmetrics does. But, if you mean using non-traditional stats then Gamechanger was a game changer for me along with reading Brian Kenny's book among some others.

I no longer use things like batting average or RBI in evaluating players. I'm also not a fan of Gamechanger's QAB stat since I put a premium on getting the ball in play. First things I look at are OPS and then Contact %. For me, those are the most important stats when putting a lineup together. I've also become a believer in batting the best hitter in the 2 hole with a high Contact % player batting last. Over the last two years, you've seen more and more college coaches batting their best hitter in the 2 hole.

Keep in mind that in any softball season, you're dealing with very small sample sizes, which means data can be skewed.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Can you explain what you mean? Do you mean that you are using some of the more advanced batting stats available in, say, GameChanger to help build your lineup. Are you calculating other more advanced stats and using those? I've heard of sabermetics, analytics, etc., but I guess I am asking where are you getting the data you need to analyze and apply?

May 17, 2012
The data comes from the scorebook that you keep; most teams use game changer.

The difference between a good coach and an average coach is in the margins. If you aren't using stats to guide your decisions you are just another average coach that could literally be replaced by anyone (and you would get the same results).

May 29, 2015
Absolutely swear by SABERmetrics ...

The parents of Sally, Aja, Brianna (whoops, Bryanna), Ellie, and Rachel know far more than the other parents.

I use the things they yell during the game and post online after the game as the base measurement for all of my decision making. They are very good at letting me know what was a quality at-bat and who really gets on base more often (we all know the Game changer info is biased in her favor by Olivia’s dad).

Dec 11, 2010
The difference between a good coach and an average coach is in the margins. If you aren't using stats to guide your decisions you are just another average coach that could literally be replaced by anyone (and you would get the same results).

Thats right.

The best coach either dd ever played for always said “Stats tell you if what you THINK is happening is what is REALLY happening.”

And that was 10 and 12u..... Dude was an engineer that liked to build things and that’s how he treated softball.

Jul 31, 2019
Everything is only as good as the data you put in...
I take the data from Gamechanger and create a few of the advanced saber metrics that I use. WOBA and WRC (Runs Created) as the primary drivers. I made a few adjustments to the math and don’t adjust for field differences etc.

In the WOBA I increased the weight of a walk, and added a negative influencer of K’s

Sabermetrics says your best hirers (WOBA) should bat in this order

1,4,5,2,3 then 6,7,8,9

I don't use it verbatim, but it’s close. I also look at %C, BARISP, and I developed an RBI/Opportunity metric

Jul 31, 2019
Absolutely swear by SABERmetrics ...

The parents of Sally, Aja, Brianna (whoops, Bryanna), Ellie, and Rachel know far more than the other parents.

I use the things they yell during the game and post online after the game as the base measurement for all of my decision making. They are very good at letting me know what was a quality at-bat and who really gets on base more often (we all know the Game changer info is biased in her favor by Olivia’s dad).
I wish some of you guys had this sense of humor behind the plate😂

Mar 7, 2016
This is our metrics from fall 18' thru fall of 19' across 66 games and 48 different teams (not all teams I have records from) . The last two girls were additions in fall of 19' and metrics were zeroed out due to low AB's. Definitive have areas to improve on. Not sure im buying the lineup by wOBA though... doesnt take into account bunt/slappers, situational, and available runners for roster batting.

1583267732941.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802