Use of Sabermetrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
I'm lost here, 66 games and your #1 has 58 AB's? I would think 66 games, the AB's would be well over 100..... even counting the BB's and HbP equals 67 total.... She only bats once a game?

You were right on the money here, these stats were across 31 games and 22 teams when I counted them up this morning. I pulled my stats from opposing teams game changers since most of my stats are still done on paper... Never bothered to count how many games i was pulling stats from and just used our record for that statement.

Mar 7, 2016
I am curious to see how every ones wOBA compares to your OPS% for those that keep metrics. Because i am seeing no difference in the two stats from a team ranking point of view.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You were right on the money here, these stats were across 31 games and 22 teams when I counted them up this morning. I pulled my stats from opposing teams game changers since most of my stats are still done on paper... Never bothered to count how many games i was pulling stats from and just used our record for that statement.

Yeah that makes more sense... didn't mean for you to do a complete research just was confused about the numbers.. :)

Mar 7, 2016
Yeah that makes more sense... didn't mean for you to do a complete research just was confused about the numbers.. :)
well it had me curious after thinking about it, as i recently did the stats and going to share them with team so I wanted to make sure what I was sharing was correct.

Oct 4, 2018
This is our metrics from fall 18' thru fall of 19' across 66 games and 48 different teams (not all teams I have records from) . The last two girls were additions in fall of 19' and metrics were zeroed out due to low AB's. Definitive have areas to improve on. Not sure im buying the lineup by wOBA though... doesnt take into account bunt/slappers, situational, and available runners for roster batting.

View attachment 16560

I went ahead and calculated wOBA for my 10U team's fall. Just 40 plate appearances (on average) per girl. It certainly put the top three batters where I would rank them, but I'll admit #4 surprised me a tad -- I would have had her 6.

Mar 7, 2016
I went ahead and calculated wOBA for my 10U team's fall. Just 40 plate appearances (on average) per girl. It certainly put the top three batters where I would rank them, but I'll admit #4 surprised me a tad -- I would have had her 6.
I had a couple surprises also, i knew one girl was doing well just didnt know that well. However the big shocker was my leadoff girl who is a slapper/drag bunter coming in ranked 7th in most categories and I always thought she was a sure bet to end up on base. I knew we had some hitters but didnt think we had 3 over .400 and 4 with .500 and above on base percentage.

Out of 66 games I could only find records of 31. So I am missing a slug of info.

Sep 9, 2019
I had a couple surprises also, i knew one girl was doing well just didnt know that well. However the big shocker was my leadoff girl who is a slapper/drag bunter coming in ranked 7th in most categories and I always thought she was a sure bet to end up on base. I knew we had some hitters but didnt think we had 3 over .400 and 4 with .500 and above on base percentage.

Out of 66 games I could only find records of 31. So I am missing a slug of info.
Hopefully. You will b using GC or something for yourself this year.....doesn't cost much for hours of fun and controversy🙂

Oct 4, 2018
GC, unfortunately, has dozens and dozens of metrics but doesn't seem to have wOBA. Perhaps I'll make a suggestion. It would be very simple for them to add, as GC tracks and records every piece of the wOBA formula.

Mar 7, 2016
Hopefully. You will b using GC or something for yourself this year.....doesn't cost much for hours of fun and controversy🙂

see thats the problem, myself and my two assitant coaches can use it no problem. I already pay for a subscription. However anyone with any ball knowledge is in the dugout. The lady who keeps our books is one of my players grandparents (ya shocked me too) but she can keep books with the best of them just cant run a smart phone lol

I need to train someone to run it so im not compiling stats manually.

Oct 4, 2018
see thats the problem, myself and my two assitant coaches can use it no problem. I already pay for a subscription. However anyone with any ball knowledge is in the dugout. The lady who keeps our books is one of my players grandparents (ya shocked me too) but she can keep books with the best of them just cant run a smart phone lol

I need to train someone to run it so im not compiling stats manually.

Yup.

If you think this team is going to be around for years, train up someone on GC. As you probably know, there's a "Score a Mock Game" feature (or somesuch) that lets you practice. First few games are a bit scary, but people pick it up quickly and usually enjoy keep the book on Game Changer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812