USA Softball Junior Women's National Team-tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
What do people think about the minimum standards? Some seem questionable...

Below is the minimum standards for athletes to register for the JWNT open tryouts:

Infielders/Outfielders (must meet each of the following)
· Bat Speed - 50 mph minimum
· Run (home to first) - 2.95 seconds maximum ?? would Crystl Bustos have met that?
· Run (home to home) - 12.5 seconds maximum
· Throwing Speed - 55 mph minimum
· Pushups - 30 minimum ?? WTH

Pitchers (consistent speed for any three of the following)
· Fastball - 63 mph minimum
· Riseball - 60 mph minimum
· Change up - 45 mph maximum or 18 mph slower than maximum pitch speed
· Curveball - 60 mph minimum
· Dropball - 63 mph minimum

Catchers (must meet each of the following)
· Throw (home to second) - 2 second maximum
· Throwing Speed - 55 mph minimum
· Bat Speed - 50 mph minimum
· Run (home to first) - 2.95 seconds maximum
· Run (home to home) - 12.5 seconds max
· Pushups - 30 minimum ?? again, WTH

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
There is also a list of "invitees" on the website. Maybe those invites do not have to meet certain minimums?
Perhaps Bustos was an invite for her hitting ability?
Just guessing.

Mar 26, 2013
There is also a list of "invitees" on the website. Maybe those invites do not have to meet certain minimums?
Perhaps Bustos was an invite for her hitting ability?
I question standards that disqualify a player from trying out that you'd otherwise want (e.g. someone like Bustos).

I thought these standards might be new, but they were used in 2006's open tryouts for the 2008 Olympic team (see NFCA Fastpitch Delivery March 2006).

Dec 20, 2012
I think some of the qualifications are on the low side. For instance throwing speed, 55 mph? I suspect most girls will be 60 or better. On the other hand the pitching speeds do not show the effectiveness of a pitcher and may be overlooked for some of the girls. And i'm sure there will be much more than this taken into consideration, at least with the girls that are invited. They are proven at their position or their role on the team. Those that show up for open tryouts, and I'm sure there will be some that have no business there, will need to be weeded out by some standard.

Mar 26, 2013
OKLAHOMA CITY – The Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America and USA Softball announced today an addition of athletes who will join the already released list of athletes who have received an invitation to the 2015 USA Softball Junior Women’s National Team (JWNT) Selection Camp and Women's National Team (WNT) Selection Camp. Slated to be held at Bill Barber Park in Irvine, Calif., the JWNT Selection Camp will be held January 3-4, 2015 while the WNT Selection Camp will be held January 5-7, 2015.

Additional athletes attending USA Softball Junior Women’s National Team Selection Camp

Kelly Barnhill (Marietta, Ga./Florida commit)
Mia Camuso (Redding, Calif./Oregon commit)
Rachel Garcia (Palmdale, Calif./UCLA commit)
Amanda Lorenz (Moorpark, Calif./Florida commit)
Taylor McQuillin (Mission Viejo, Calif./Arizona commit)
Alyssa Palomino (Mission Viejo, Calif./Arizona commit)
DJ Sanders (Columbus, Miss./Louisiana-Lafayette Freshman)
*Additional invites may be added at a later date

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Bustos could actually really move. Was it 2.95? I doubt it. If the majority of these girls are 2.95, I will buy you a cup of coffee. Note that they list the same speed for their catchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi