Tryouts for anyone this time of year? Coming up January?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
I noticed a well known national team having open practice for 14-18u and it seems like I've seen more then a few girls leaving their national team for another one. Definitely don't recall seeing so much of this last year.

Oct 4, 2018
DD’s team has had a few private workouts. They only had 12 in Summer/Fall and HC wants 14. I’ve seen ads for other local teams/orgs having tryouts for various age level.

Yeah, our 13U team wants to go from 12 players to 13.

Apr 14, 2022
This is my favorite “due to understandable circumstances”
Or A level team looking for A level Pitcher, catcher, or shortstop.

It is pretty crazy with teams looking for players to tryout in our area. Players will post availability and get like 10 teams posting tryouts.

Aug 31, 2020
Exactly. What's even crazier, is that I've seen at least 2 or 3 brand new teams start up in our area. In general, I think that more teams gives more girls the opportunity to play and grow the game - there is a team for girls at every level. But, we're really testing out that theory with the number of teams that there are. I'd like to give them all the benefit of the doubt, but I'm afraid that a lot of parents are going to be sold a bill of goods from these teams.
In our parts, I'm seeing the number of teams shrink just slightly this year due to oversaturation. A couple programs shut down and some teams just can't find the number of players they need.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In our parts, I'm seeing the number of teams shrink just slightly this year due to oversaturation. A couple programs shut down and some teams just can't find the number of players they need.

I think it's coming here (the eventual shrinkage) - her team collapsed, and all the July tryout teams are now adding more tryout dates in August, and my DD (not a pitcher) got offers / call backs for all the teams she tried out for - even orgs which would normally be a "stretch" for her. Every pitcher she knows got offers on the spot for every team, and virtually every team is still asking for pitchers.

May 13, 2021
I think it's coming here (the eventual shrinkage) - her team collapsed, and all the July tryout teams are now adding more tryout dates in August, and my DD (not a pitcher) got offers / call backs for all the teams she tried out for - even orgs which would normally be a "stretch" for her. Every pitcher she knows got offers on the spot for every team, and virtually every team is still asking for pitchers.
There are to many teams for the number of girls that want to play. I see teams that have been having tryouts of a long time looking for 2-3 girls. At least 25% of the teams in my area could not beat a decent rec team, but that is a different discussion.

May 13, 2023
Has gotten to the point where I'm calling it
'player scrounging'. Certain level teams doing this.

No tryouts simply
'need bodies on the roster'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles