Underwear requirements?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
I'm not religious or anything, but I do believe in dressing modestly for sports participation.

That said, while I could specify no jewelry, hair tied back, proper uniform socks, etc., I would never make any regulations about underwear. That's just a door that doesn't even need to be opened by any person in position of authority.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Most schools now have rules on things like this, and I believe you have every right to have a rule of no distracting or distasteful undergarments.

Jun 5, 2010
But seriously, you're a HS coach, right? Don't go ANYWHERE NEAR requiring a HS girl to wear a certain kind or color of underwear...you leave yourself wide open to being misunderstood, and it's just not worth it the risk...

Agreed. That's one of the main reasons why I wanted to start this thread and solicit the opinions of others. It's a situation that needs to be handled the right way.

point out to the girls that these are white pants (duh) and anything they wear underneath will show, so they need to think hard about what they choose to wear. Then let them discuss amongst themselves what they think is good, and leave it alone.

The problem is that there are young ladies on every team that like to "push the boundaries." We all know this. And there are some ladies on my team that fall under this category. My fear is that if I don't make some kind of regulation regarding underwear, it leaves the door open for those players to show up in something inappropriate, and I don't want that. I really don't want to take any chances.

As I stated earlier, when we wore black pants, this wasn't an issue. Obviously, the girls could wear pretty much anything they wanted and it wouldn't matter. Impressing upon the girls that next year isn't "business as usual" and that, when it comes to their uniforms, they'll have to be mindful of things they didn't have to be mindful of before will take a little bit of work, I'm sure.

Jun 5, 2010
Most schools now have rules on things like this, and I believe you have every right to have a rule of no distracting or distasteful undergarments.

That's kind of how I feel. Obviously, as the coach (and, to clarify, I'm a male) the look of the uniforms falls under my authority. The pants, jerseys, socks, etc. have to be a certain way. Every coach and every team has those kinds of regulations.

Undergarments never fell under my authority before, and never needed to. As I've stated, that's kind of changed. The new pants don't really leave much to the imagination when it comes to a player's underwear. They really don't. So, because of this, I'm kind of starting to feel that undergarments have fallen under my authority, too. Very dicey territory, I know...

But... like redhotcoach says, a lot of schools have rules on things like this, and I think the new uniforms have created a situation where undergarments may fall under my authority. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I think I'm starting to lean this way a little.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
We had this issue last year, but were buying our own so DW saw this oming, went the extra $20 for thicker pants.
Other mom's didn't make the instant connection, but after about 3 games, ridicule from the other players had guaranteed a dress code.

That one girl with "no filter" is useful for things like this.

May 25, 2010
Obviously, as the coach (and, to clarify, I'm a male) the look of the uniforms falls under my authority. The pants, jerseys, socks, etc. have to be a certain way.

Maybe it's too late now, but why didn't you think about this before deciding to change from black to white pants?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Just make sliders part of the required attire and problem solved. You would insist boys wear their cup so why not the sliding protective short. I believe Auburn had rather see thru pants and they all wore sliders underneath.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All good softball players wear sliders.

But there is another concern with white pants. Any young lady that is nearing her teenage years needs to be prepared for her time of the month. White pants can be a disaster.

Jun 5, 2010
Maybe it's too late now, but why didn't you think about this before deciding to change from black to white pants?

Unfortunately, the situation was out of my hands. Our school's color scheme and mascot just underwent a makeover (unnecessary, in my opinion) and every team across the board has been swapping out the black aspects of their uniforms for white. I simply followed suit. The transperancy issue with the pants is a problem I couldn't have foreseen.

Just make sliders part of the required attire and problem solved. You would insist boys wear their cup so why not the sliding protective short. I believe Auburn had rather see thru pants and they all wore sliders underneath.

This is something I'm considering. The girls have complained in the past about wearing sliders, so I haven't forced the issue and made them a requirement. However, it seems like now might be a good time to reverse my position on that. We'll see...

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
usually no rules, just common sense. I have seen uniforms that were pratically see thru before.

When DD was younger, showed up in white pants, and her white underwear had flowers on it that showed thru plain as day. She was upset she forgot, but I thought it was the icing on the cake. See, she was a top player on a boys baseball team , boys that were 2 yrs older than her. Just another reminder to all that saw her in that league that a little girl could outplay them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves