Ump fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2022
What’s the going rate this spring for ump fees? Going to be hosting some DHs/friendlies for 12u. I know rates have moved up past couple years….not sure my head has kept up with it; what should i be offering for a 1 or 2 man crew for unsanctioned games? Greater Philadelphia Area…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
There's no national standard, and anecdotally fees vary widely by region, state and sometimes even within a state. You'll get some answers here, but unless they are local to NJ/PA/DE they might not help.

F'rinstance, in western CT I'll get anywhere from $60 to $75 for a non-school (travel) game. But I know there are places in the state that pay less (and some that may pay more).

Jan 22, 2011
For rec I am getting between $50 and $65 per game this spring, depending on the league, in the San Francisco Bay Area. Rec is no new innings after 90 minutes.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
My input won't help you, but I'm watching with an interest. :)

School games are going for $70-$80 this season.

Summer tournaments depend on the time limit, but around $45-50/game (which, IMO, is too low with all things considered). Some tournaments pay "school rates" for school-level games.

As for leagues, they are essentially extinct around here. The rec league I worked in Mississippi was $50/game with a 70-minute time limit (2 umpires on each game, 2 games per night on most nights). I've heard there is a LOW level "competitive" league (translation: expensive rec) that is being put together here, and they will be paying $60/game (2 games per night), but I also heard that may be a solo umpire though.

I won't work solo games at any level, so I can't speak more to that.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In my area of Florida HS is $79/game. All two man until it gets near playoffs and we will do some pre-playoff 3-man games to get ready,.

Travel for 1:15 finish the inning is $50-55, 1:30 is $70-75. I do USSSA & PGF when I work games on a weekend and it is all 2 man with the occasional championship 3-man.

College is anywhere from $100-400/game plus some travel depending on level, conference, etc. At most college levels it is still 2 man umpiring until playoffs. I am not doing D1 games which can be more, because of the commitment they want/need, but my college assignors will schedule me for everything else when I have time - D2, NAIA, JUCO, etc. They are more flexible with me than some others primarily because I have a reputation of zero trouble with my assigned games which is a huge thing for them and also because I am 20+ years younger than a lot of the officials they have to assign especially when these teams want games at 1pm or 3pm on a weekday which REALLY limits the available umpires to retirees and shift workers. I also do some D3 for Spring Games though I didn't do any this year.

I occasionally do rec as a favor for my org - it is generally solo and is $60. I will do solo scrimmages for the same $60 with coaches and teams I know understand that is indeed a scrimmage/friendly. Rec and scrimmages are pretty relaxed and easy.

Jun 1, 2015
In NYS, it's based on contract, which is then adjusted by section (some do travel factoring into the rates, then adjusted by level, some do the levels different with the same travel, etc.) For us, tournament travel softball (outdoors), as well as non-tournament travel (scrimmages, etc.), is $50/ump for 2-man and 1.5x for solo umpires (so $75). We've had some tournaments in my area (especially 10U/12U) go one-ump for the entire tournament to save money. More work on the officials but for $25 more per game? I'm not arguing it.

Aug 25, 2019
In NYS, it's based on contract, which is then adjusted by section (some do travel factoring into the rates, then adjusted by level, some do the levels different with the same travel, etc.) For us, tournament travel softball (outdoors), as well as non-tournament travel (scrimmages, etc.), is $50/ump for 2-man and 1.5x for solo umpires (so $75). We've had some tournaments in my area (especially 10U/12U) go one-ump for the entire tournament to save money. More work on the officials but for $25 more per game? I'm not arguing it.
Down here on Long Island, it's $131 for varsity, $112 for JV, an 94.50 for middle school, which has a two hour limit, and a lot of those games are one umpire for $141.75. Travel.ball is $55 two umpires 1:20 game, but for some reason its Only $60 for one umpire. I do not take one umpire games for only $5 more.

Jul 27, 2021
Wow. Ump pay doesn't seem to be an issue. Making bank out there. What is the most you can make on a pool play day?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom