Making the Move to 10u! Finally!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2019
So, it’s finally time for our team to graduate to real ball! We ended our coach pitch season and have been solely practicing in preparation to start kid pitch this fall, hopefully next month. Practices have gone “ok”. I know it’s a lot of ground to cover in short amounts of time with lots of stuff that can only be gained in game situations. Now I’m questioning coach philosophy and if this is the right fit.

We’ve picked up 2 more players, bringing the total to 13. One is a bracket ready pitcher and needed. DD has started pitching lessons but obviously isn’t anywhere close to game ready as have 2 others on the team. DD is also an outstanding middle infielder as that’s where she’s primarily played up until this past spring. At that point, she was moved to the “circle” so she would be used to playing defense in that position. So now that we’re moving and have 4 girls on the bench, coach says that she will rotate outfield and bench until she’s ready for the pitching rotation. At that point, they will either be pitching or sitting so they’re “ready to warm up if needed”. This just doesn’t feel right at all. The problem is that there are VERY few other 2011 options in our area that play competitive ball. She’s even wanting to learn to catch just to have a place to play, but he won’t let them learn that position either if they’re taking pitching lessons. It almost feels like punishment for trying something new. Tryouts are starting to be posted, but like i said, options are very limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
run, dont walk, away

10u is way too early to start pigeonholing young girls into a specific sport, let alone two specific positions. the pitchers at that age need to learn to play other positions as well, many of them will not be pitching in a few years. let me guess, coaches DD or ACs DD are MI, right?

Jul 14, 2019
run, dont walk, away

10u is way too early to start pigeonholing young girls into a specific sport, let alone two specific positions. the pitchers at that age need to learn to play other positions as well, many of them will not be pitching in a few years. let me guess, coaches DD or ACs DD are MI, right?

How did you guess?

May 6, 2015
How did you guess?

wait, dont run, FLY away. this is prime example of a "D" team, and D is for . . . . . DADDY

been down that road, trying to erect warning signs right at the beginning of the road for others.

find a 2010 team, play slightly less competitive ball, trust me, this team will NOT be playing competitive ball (they may play highly competitive teams, but they will get mercied (sic) most of the time)

May 6, 2015
BTW, run, no fly away, can also apply to the whole TB softball thing.

"Abandon all hope Ye who enter here"

JK, some great memories, some bad ones (but valuble as life lessons for us and DD), wouldn't trade these experiences (including DD1 who plays a completely different sport) for anything. My life pretty much revolves around my girls activities, never have time for anything else, house is a wreck most of the time, all our vacations revolve around tournaments or camps, putting way to many miles on our cars (DW and I have to split up a lot), we never eat dinner until 8 or later most nights, and I would not change a single damn thing.

Remember it is a journey, and it should be fun (for your DD). dont worry about Ws or Ls (too much), cheer obnoxiously loud for your DD and her teamates, annoy your coworkers with tales of her exploits on the field, always have an extra case of water in the car, and after a bad day of softball, talk about anything but on the ride home.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
So her defense was great in 8u but now its not needed?

Id agree that you need to run away, and fast. If for some reason you have to stay with this team, Id tell the coach that your daughter is no longer taking pitching lessons if he is going to basically hold that against her.

Jul 14, 2019
So her defense was great in 8u but now its not needed?

Id agree that you need to run away, and fast. If for some reason you have to stay with this team, Id tell the coach that your daughter is no longer taking pitching lessons if he is going to basically hold that against her.

I’ve already thought about that approach regarding the pitching lessons. She is a naturally good little player. She can play the outfield sure! I don’t have a problem with that. She can catch and stop those ball all day long. What she can’t do is throw them in as efficiently as some of the other. She has her strengths and she has her weaknesses and i am fully aware of both.

Jun 8, 2016
the trouble is the HC only sees his and his ACS dds strengths, and the weaknesses in everyone else.
At that age I agree that pidgeonholing kids into a position is unnecessary but it is possible that the HC's kid is actually pretty good..no? Labeling something Daddy ball without seeing the actual players involved is probably not the wisest of moves..

Jul 14, 2019
At that age I agree that pidgeonholing kids into a position is unnecessary but it is possible that the HC's kid is actually pretty good..no? Labeling something Daddy ball without seeing the actual players involved is probably not the wisest of moves..

Struck out 14 of 20 at bats one weekend with her own daddy pitching to her and stayed in the top of the lineup.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying