UGA corners wearing masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2013
Georgia's 3rd base was indeed wearing one and STILL turned her head to the side and made an error!! ACK!!![/QUOTE
She just started wearing the mask after getting hit in the face and missing some games.
My first thought was that she was hit in the face before while not wearing a mask and now she is afraid of the ball and turning her head even while wearing the mask.

Jun 18, 2010
She just started wearing the mask after getting hit in the face and missing some games.

I'd read on February 14, 2015 Georgia Bulldog third baseman Anna Swafford, took a ball to the face and broke her face in four places and lost a couple of teeth.

Watching the Oklahoma / LSU series, the announcer mentioned Oklahoma shortstop Shelby Pendley was wearing one of those clear masks you often see basketball players wear because she was struck in the face by a ball breaking her orbital socket.

Nov 30, 2013
10 min. ago I sold DDs old schutt mask to a girl that plays rec ball in a out of town league.Her dad called me earlier because of a bat I had for sale and when he got here asked if i still had the fielders mask for sale.She plays 3rd base and apparently last year playing third she got smoked in the mouth by a ground ball and lost a tooth.

Oct 2, 2012
Is it the girls don't want to wear the masks or are they afraid what others (coaches) will think? There's always been talk about players that wear masks not being recruited or taken seriously.

Feb 7, 2013
Is it the girls don't want to wear the masks or are they afraid what others (coaches) will think? There's always been talk about players that wear masks not being recruited or taken seriously.

Stigma definitely plays a big factor. It's even worse for the boys in baseball. Few cages on batting helmets (even at the younger ages) and I have only seen one pitcher wear the padded baseball cap when pitching (apparently to reduce a concussion injury) but the face is still totally exposed.

My DD has been hit too many times (not in the head yet) for me to give up her pitching mask. When she is an adult she can chose whether or not to wear one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I wouldn't say that they are not taken seriously. Rather I think it raises the level of scrutiny of their defensive skills. You have 1 kid who wears a mask and can't field so twisted logic is that any kid with one can't while they conveniently forget the kids who wear one and make ESPN plays. Kind of like when 1 kid has 2016 Louiston 5000 Ninja bat and hits a bomb and all you hear about is all the kids hitting bombs with the same bat.

I have an 18U team and over the last year or so I have seen more kids with masks show up at try outs. Like the college coaches I have spoken with I do not care if they wear a mask and clown shoes as long as they can hit and contribute on defense.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
There is a high profile coach in our area who belittles girls who wear masks at any age. He insults them and tells them they must be too ugly to show their face. He really shouldn't be allowed to coach young ladies, but somehow, people must think this is good.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
My daughter stopped wearing hers 2nd year 14's. She plays 3rd at a pretty high level and she decided it made her look like she had no confidence in her reaction time and defense. I really wish she would wear her mask even the top players in college can take a bad hop or line drive to the face. I am about to the point of making her wear it. The bats are too hot and at third you are very close to the batter.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd, while pitching at 16U, took a line drive right off her left knee cap a couple years ago. I can tell you the ball came back at her so quickly that most people didn't know what was happening. We heard 3 distinct pop sounds. The bat, then her knee, and then the back stop....all in about 1 seconds time. Had that been her face, I can't even stomach the thought of it.
Wearing a mask means a lot to me. Introduce me to a coach who belittles girls for wearing one, and I'll introduce his mouth to my fist. Then we'll see if it would have hurt less had he worn a mask. I have zero tolerance for a$$ holes who talk crap to young girls.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My daughter stopped wearing hers 2nd year 14's. She plays 3rd at a pretty high level and she decided it made her look like she had no confidence in her reaction time and defense. I really wish she would wear her mask even the top players in college can take a bad hop or line drive to the face. I am about to the point of making her wear it. The bats are too hot and at third you are very close to the batter.

Come on, at 14/15 years old, they really shouldn't have a choice. I told mine a long time ago, no mask, no ball...period.

A girl in Alabama last weekend, was wearing a rip it mask and got hit so hard it bent the mask and scraped up her nose pretty good. The doctors said without a doubt, if not for that mask, they would have been attending her funeral. Better to be safe, then very, very sorry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207