UGA corners wearing masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
Masks will be mandatory for corners and P's in 4 to 6 years. The only reason players don't use 'em now is because of the "way they look", or "it messes me up", and because coaches don't require their players to do so. They can see out of a batting helmet with a grill. They can see out of a mask. I coach third at 56 to 61 feet from the plate. I feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe it I had to be at 45 feet. And our pitchers are landing, semi-outta balance at 38!?

It's like driving without a seatbelt. You may never get in an accident...but if you do.....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Masks will be mandatory for corners and P's in 4 to 6 years. The only reason players don't use 'em now is because of the "way they look", or "it messes me up", and because coaches don't require their players to do so. They can see out of a batting helmet with a grill. They can see out of a mask. I coach third at 56 to 61 feet from the plate. I feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe it I had to be at 45 feet. And our pitchers are landing, semi-outta balance at 38!?

It's like driving without a seatbelt. You may never get in an accident...but if you do.....

Have you ever seen an international or college softball game? If they are not a hindrance and if they provide much needed protection, then why do the most college players not wear them at the plate? 99% of of these players wore a grill on their batting helmet for close to a decade prior to college. Yet most ditch them as soon as they are not required. Since the coaches do not require them, based on your premise they do so for one of two reasons: To be fashionable while at the plate or because the grill does in fact hinder their ability to see the ball. I have to think it is the latter of the two.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree, I think masks will become mandatory for at least pitchers and corners with in a few years or when another player dies. These masks will possibly save a life. IMO, playing 3b with no mask is more dangerous than batting without a helmet. A top level pitcher throwing 65 mph from the circle (minus the stride) will be approximately 36 feet away at release, but a batted ball screaming at the crashed in 3b may travel at 95mph... I'd play in catchers gear, wrapped in bubble wrap if I had to play third against a batters like Bustos, Chamberlin, or Hugo

Oct 8, 2014
I just witness a girl in a travel ball game get her nose crushed and suffered several facial fractures. She was knocked out and went into shock. She is home right now waiting for reconstructive surgery.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree, I think masks will become mandatory for at least pitchers and corners with in a few years or when another player dies. These masks will possibly save a life. IMO, playing 3b with no mask is more dangerous than batting without a helmet. A top level pitcher throwing 65 mph from the circle (minus the stride) will be approximately 36 feet away at release, but a batted ball screaming at the crashed in 3b may travel at 95mph... I'd play in catchers gear, wrapped in bubble wrap if I had to play third against a batters like Bustos, Chamberlin, or Hugo

The reason for wearing a helmet has more to do than protection from the pitch and although a batted ball moves quickly lets keep it real. It is outrageous claims such as these that detracts from the merits of wearing the equipment.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm well aware that helmets are worn to protect batters against a pitched ball, and the occasional foul tip. The fact is a batted ball will be moving faster than a pitched ball. That's a fact. (Assuming it was a clean hit)
How on earth is that an outrageous claim?
A 12" ball weighing 6.5oz traveling 60mph, gets hit with a 25oz bat that was traveling 70 mph.... how fast is the balls exit speed?
IDK, but I'm sure it's faster than the 60mph pitched speed. It's fast enough that the most dangerous positions on the field, 1, 3 and P, need to be in masks.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Georgia's 3rd base was indeed wearing one and STILL turned her head to the side and made an error!! ACK!!!

Jan 25, 2011
Georgia's 3rd base was indeed wearing one and STILL turned her head to the side and made an error!! ACK!!![/QUOTE
She just started wearing the mask after getting hit in the face and missing some games.
I would be a little gun shy too. I think the kid is a really good 3rd baseman and is just having some trouble right now. I'm glad that you pointed that out. I feel there is several posters on this site (me included) that wouldn't do even half as well, as this player.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283