Typical Velocity Progression Patterns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It would be useful to specify whether we are talking about game speeds with the readings taken from the backstop or readings taken during workouts when the pitcher is letting it fly. In my experience there is usually a noticeable difference.

Jan 28, 2017
It would be useful to specify whether we are talking about game speeds with the readings taken from the backstop or readings taken during workouts when the pitcher is letting it fly. In my experience there is usually a noticeable difference.

My DD was about a month away from her 13th birthday and was clocked at a college field on the scoreboard at 55 during a game. She is in her last year at the 12u level and 54 to 55 on a good game and 52 on an average game. Spots the ball well with a really good change.

Dec 5, 2017
Looking at everyone else's numbers has me feeling better about where dd is with her speed, she seems really slow to me, but what do I know?

She started in Nov. '18 with an IR pc
37 in Dec
39 in Feb
Hasn't clocked her since then. She is 9, 4'5/ 54lbs., definitely not built like a pitcher.
Sees pc once a week. Pitches at home and at team practice at least 2 other days usually 3, or should I say she did before getting hit while pitching in rec ball and breaking 2 bones in her hand.

Oct 4, 2018
With radar guns being so varied, it's hard for me to know how any of these numbers compare.

My DD is 9, been with a Tincher instructor for about 6 months. Tall and strong, at 5' 100 pounds. Threw 40mph last time I clocked her (in Feb) with a cheap-o Bushnell radar gun with me standing behind the catcher. She's averaging 1.5 Ks per inning in 10U B Travel ball. Has a decent change that I call for on lots of pitch counts. The change works well against eager hitters (creating foul balls or better yet, off the end of the bat weak balls in play and of course the change works well after a few fastballs as a strikeout pitch).

We have pitching lessons, hitting lessons and conditioning once per week each. Then team practice, tournaments and we pitch every day we don't have one of those (except we take the day off after a tournament).

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
DD did not start pitching until her second year of 10U, and only rec at that point. She attended group lessons with an HE coach. After a lot of success at the Rec level, she decided that she wanted to focus on pitching as she moved to 12U. She's been playing travel since second-year 8U but only pitching since that first year of 12. When she said that's what she wanted to do, I found a Tincher instructor and that's been her focus for the last two years. Her progression:

Second Year 10U: 40 mph? Rec All Stars pitcher, FB & changeup
First Year 12U: 46 mph top speed, FB & change, started Tincher program
Second Year 12U: 51 mph top speed, FB, change, drop, just started working on the curve

Cruising speeds are probably 4 mph slower during games, but I've never clocked her during a game (the speeds above are from practices).

Nov 4, 2015
Started pitching in first year of travel ball which was at 10 yoa. Started with org's HE pitching coach. Started with an IR instructor and saw immediate improvement. Have no real idea on speeds at first.
10 years old guessing started at about 30 mph (January) ended below 40 in May
11 years old topped out around 45
12years old topped out at 50
currently 13 yoa and is 53-55.
last few measurements have been with a rev fire, so not positive that speed is correct. Has a really good change up and working on a rise/curve. I'm not big on the curve, but when trying to throw a rise, she gets some curve action and much less drop than with her fastball. Lesson once a week throws a couple more times each week. Her game speed is probably 51-52 until she thinks the ump missed a call. Then she will amp it up on the next pitch! Ha!

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
DD has been pitching since 8.5 years old. We played around in the backyard for a couple months with pitching before rec season. She played up 10u and 2 of the pitchers were either walking in everyone or hitting batters. Coach asked girls if anyone else could pitch and my DD said she would. She was composed and threw strikes. She started taking lesson after that rec season was over and has improved in the short time of 20 months. Currently, pitches travel and practices 3 days a week pitching plus travel games 3 of 4 weekends. She turned 10 in January

9 year old - Game speed 35-38 top speed in practice 41
10 year old- Game speed 41-43 top speed in practice 46

Oct 13, 2017
8u 28-30 max 32
9u 35-38 max 41
10u 40-43 max 45(been a while since we 've gunned her)
There are girls we face regularly with a bit more velocity.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
These are the MPH for DD

8u, 39-42 game speed, 44 mph during a pitching lesson
9u, 44-46 game speed, 48 mph during a pitching lesson
10u, 47 -49 game speed, 52 mph during a pitching lesson.

Not every pitch in a pitching lesson would be the highest speed i posted. Just when everything came together right.

I got a girl on the same team that cruises 50-53 in a game, and has hit 56 in lessons. She is very wild though. Not uncommon for her to throw a no hitter and give up 6 runs in a 4 inning game. She is a 2nd year 10u player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad