Twitter blowing up about 7th grade rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
The mental issues topic is more about the expectations put on kids who are ranked vs the ones who are not.
Couldn’t the expectations be limited if parents recognized they don’t need to put their kid in travel so early? And recognize all travel isn’t equal, but all travel is part booming business. Most of the pressure seems to come from parents wanting it more than the kid.

Jun 27, 2021
How do you mean? When my dd played in HS (and my DS now) there is a HS news outlet that posts the local schools’ coverage for free. Actually, there are a few news outlets in our area here that do that. I never payed for anything to see my kids’ write-ups.
We pay $3 for local paper/sports and another few buck for local sports site that only does high school.

Jun 8, 2016
[
Couldn’t the expectations be limited if parents recognized they don’t need to put their kid in travel so early? And recognize all travel isn’t equal, but all travel is part booming business. Most of the pressure seems to come from parents wanting it more than the kid.

Of course. But putting your kid in TB at young age does have benefits if the kid isn’t having any fun playing rec ball because of competition level (this being an issue in 2023 is a different topic). As I have asked numerous times in this thread what is the development/enjoyment benefit to the ballplayer to be ranked in MS? I will give you motivation as a possible benefit but as I also mentioned before being motivated at a young age by “being good” compared to other people can be a slippery slope..

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
We pay $3 for local paper/sports and another $5 for local sports site that only does high school.
Gotcha. Our strictly online HS sports news source is free. We also have another online news source that is more local to Philly that will actually show in-game highlights and post recorded post-game interviews to go along with their write-ups. I think they use local college grad program students to attend the games and handle the media. They do a great job and the HS kids love it.

Jul 19, 2021
No but claiming mental health. And I’m for recognizing mental health and addressing it. To me it’s more detrimental for an individual to be cut from a team than a national ranking. No matter the age. 8U-18U
Ok whatever but that is a different subject than what you were talking about, ie... you were calling them, as individuals, hypocrites for calling out these rankings while cutting players in middle school .Which they do not do nor have they ever done. So your initial argument is null and void.

Jun 27, 2021
Ok whatever but that is a different subject than what you were talking about, ie... you were calling them, as individuals, hypocrites for calling out these rankings while cutting players in middle school .Which they do not do nor have they ever done. So your initial argument is null and void.
calling all coaches hypocrites who are concerned about rankings but have no issue cutting kids. I’ve cut kids but I’m not hung up on this being the issue with travel sports.

Pulled this from Cat’s website

Player fee: for players chosen, the player fee is $300. Financial assistance is available upon request. To apply for financial assistance, complete the financial assistance application.

For players chosen sticks out, as her teams start at 14U

Apr 14, 2022
[

Of course. But putting your kid in TB at young age does have benefits if the kid isn’t having any fun playing rec ball because of competition level (this being an issue in 2023 is a different topic). As I have asked numerous times in this thread what is the development/enjoyment benefit to the ballplayer to be ranked in MS? I will give you motivation as a possible benefit but as I also mentioned before being motivated at a young age by “being good” compared to other people can be a slippery slope..
My DD development is a lot better when there is someone who is or people think is better.

Jun 27, 2021
[

How many kids are not having fun playing rec ball at 8U-12U? Or it is the parents believing they need to move on because social media Sunday is pictures of weekend tournaments of 10 games and getting runner up in the bronze bracket.

Jun 8, 2016
How many kids are not having fun playing rec ball at 8U-12U? Or it is the parents believing they need to move on because social media Sunday is pictures of weekend tournaments of 10 games and getting runner up in the bronze bracket.
I am sure there is a lot of that. I am also sure that some (most?) of these unnecessary expectations/pressure from the rankings are due to parents. That said, I have asked you a question a few times already regarding the benefits of MS rankings and you have yet to answer. If they went away how would the game suffer?

If the negatives outweigh the benefits then getting rid of MS rankings seems like low hanging fruit compared to trying to change how adults act in 2023..🤷🏽‍♂️ Of course the parental issues would still be there but they would have one less “tool” to mess up their kids with. I don’t think EI would lose much money if they just limited it to HS age kids (I could be way off here..)

That said, I just like debating and if they don’t go away I won’t lose any sleep 😂

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1