Twitter blowing up about 7th grade rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2022
Here is my questionā€¦..silly as this may be, Is this type of ranking done with the boys of this age? If the answer is yes, then why would we expect anything different. My guess is Mom and Dad arenā€™t as outraged about the actual existence of the list, more that little Suzy didnā€™t make the list.

College sports is now officially ā€œBig Businessā€, I think we all can agree. Money is being paid, oklahoma Is raiding everyoneā€™s kitchen. Very soon another program will step up and begin doing the same thing they do. More and more programs will use the portal to poach others players. There will become a clear line between the haves and the have nots. It is already happening. This ranking is part of the evolution of the sport, for good or bad, who knows. I guess we will see. Iā€™m sure the first 7th grade national football rankings were pretty lame as well. Iā€™m sure kids were missing or incorrectly included. It will take time, but Iā€™m sure the bugs will get worked out, in time the list will become more accurate. But, now that $ is involved, this ainā€™t going away. These NIL collectives want to know who theyā€™re spending money on.

Jun 8, 2016
My guess is Mom and Dad arenā€™t as outraged about the actual existence of the list, more that little Suzy didnā€™t make the list.
As far as I know Cat Osterman doesnā€™t have kids old enough to be ranked. I am sure there are parents that are upset that their kid didnā€™t get ranked (assuming they or their coach bothered to submit their player to be ranked) but that is a separate issue.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I am very skeptical when I have to pay money to view the full list of something, no matter what the content is. Itā€™s truly a great way to suck parents in and get them to subscribe to the various sites that do these rankings.

Jun 8, 2016
I am very skeptical when I have to pay money to view the full list of something, no matter what the content is. Itā€™s truly a great way to suck parents in and get them to subscribe to the various sites that do these rankings.
A Twitter account has just recently just started ranking OK HS kids. No idea who is actually running it or their ultimate motivation but from what I can tell the rankings are not bad and I give them kudos for doing it for free..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ā¬…ļø Swipe left ~ Swipe right āž”ļø

Yikes can you imagine list of athletes and that happening!

Jul 19, 2021
Here is my questionā€¦..silly as this may be, Is this type of ranking done with the boys of this age? If the answer is yes, then why would we expect anything different.
The coaches are saying this is a mental health issue as there have been numerous suicides committed by female college athletes lately. Has there been a rash of male college athlete suicides?

Jun 8, 2016
The coaches are saying this is a mental health issue as there have been numerous suicides committed by female college athletes lately. Has there been a rash of male college athlete suicides?
Plus two wrongs donā€™t make a right and people (rightfully imo) complain about those as well.

Jul 19, 2021
one single guy in Iowa or wherever he is compiles these rankings based on submissions alone and people are required to pay to see them. It's a joke. He doesn't even verify the submissions apparently as he had one girl on there a year or so ago that he said threw 62-63 in games but in reality she struggled to throw 55. It's a joke.

Jun 8, 2016
one single guy in Iowa or wherever he is compiles these rankings based on submissions alone and people are required to pay to see them. It's a joke. He doesn't even verify the submissions apparently as he had one girl on there a year or so ago that he said threw 62-63 in games but in reality she struggled to throw 55. It's a joke.
There are a couple places doing rankings now I think. Not sure if Legacy and Legends requires a subscription to view.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619