Twitter blowing up about 7th grade rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
I am sure there is a lot of that. I am also sure that some (most?) of these unnecessary expectations/pressure from the rankings are due to parents. That said, I have asked you a question a few times already regarding the benefits of MS rankings and you have yet to answer. If they went away how would the game suffer?

If the negatives outweigh the benefits then getting rid of MS rankings seems like low hanging fruit compared to trying to change how adults act in 2023..🤷🏽‍♂️ Of course the parental issues would still be there but they would have one less “tool” to mess up their kids with. I don’t think EI would lose much money if they just limited it to HS age kids (I could be way off here..)

That said, I just like debating and if they don’t go away I won’t lose any sleep 😂
I’m indifferent to the entire rankings in middle school. I do believe it brings more good than bad. If you’re (parents) going to subject your child to travel and play at that level then noting wrong if rankings are in place by establishments that cover the sport. If it went away, those players would still be the same players. And those not on the list would still be the same players.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m indifferent to the entire rankings in middle school. I do believe it brings more good than bad.
So the good is what? Motivation and it makes those ranked feel good about themselves? I will agree it can do those things which can be good but it can also comes with baggage that kids that young may not be equipped to handle. I think a parent praising their kid for their hard work can go just as far in terms of those things without the possible negative consequences 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jun 27, 2021
So the good is what? Motivation and it makes those ranked feel good about themselves? I will agree it can do those things which can be good but it can also comes with baggage that kids that young may not be equipped to handle.
The good is acknowledging the upper level players at that point, always subject to being reevaluated yearly. EI does a good job of getting to the bigger tournaments and gets to see the next rising stars. Don’t disagree on the baggage part, but that may be where partners step in and don’t put them on the stage just yet.

Jun 27, 2021
I think a parent praising their kid for their hard work can go just as far in terms of those things without the possible negative consequences 🤷🏽‍♂️
One would think. But it’s parents that ruin it for the kids, so not all parents think that way….the kids should tell their parents they are proud of them if they don’t screw it up after each game. Parents are the ones upset about EI rankings it seems, not the kids. I’ve only seen 1 player in class of 2028 say anything on Twitter and it was for the grownups to stop.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
One would think. But it’s parents that ruin it for the kids, so not all parents think that way….the kids should tell their parents they are proud of them if they don’t screw it up after each game. Parents are the ones upset about EI rankings it seems same parents that allow their kid to team hop to find better.
Well I am a parent and while I wouldn't say I am upset about them, I just think (unlike you) they do more harm then good for MS kids.

Full transparency my kid is a 2028 and I won't be (and haven't) submitting her to any of these rankings any time soon (if ever). Her coach feels the same way so I am safe..lol. Would she be ranked if I did..who knows...doesn't really matter. She plays up so she rarely plays against her peers in TB..some 2028's are still in 12U and she is on a second year 14U team so I don't have a good feel for what a really good 2028 looks like. What I do know is what a good swing looks like and the proper way to field a ground ball so that is what I concern myself with. That said, of all the kids out there she might benefit the most from it since I am sort hard on her at times and tend to be skimpy with the praise...still don't think it is worth it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Well I am a parent and while I wouldn't say I am upset about them, I just think (unlike you) they do more harm then good for MS kids.

Full transparency my kid is a 2028 and I won't be (and haven't) submitting her to any of these rankings any time soon (if ever). Her coach feels the same way so I am safe..lol. Would she be ranked if I did..who knows...doesn't really matter. She plays up so she rarely plays against her peers in TB..some 2028's are still in 12U and she is on a second year 14U team so I don't have a good feel for what a really good 2028 looks like. What I do know is what a good swing looks like and the proper way to field a ground ball so that is what I concern myself with. That said, of all the kids out there she might benefit the most from it since I am sort hard on her at times and tend to be skimpy with the praise...still don't think it is worth it.
Mine is a 2022, first ranked fall of her 8th grade year. First year of playing D1 where everyone is good and those rankings don’t mean anything. She enjoyed the rankings and handled the expectations all 4 years of HS. A few HS state titles and one PGF Top 10 helped validate. Many of her friends were not ranked and went on to play D1 and D2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard