Turning the barrel, direction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Buttermaker, what a cool clip. Could learn and talk a lot about that. What MB says is very interesting. "As long as the the "torso" includes the entire pelvic girdle/"hips", or we interchange it with "trunk" of the body I'm good with that. "

I tell my DD that during and after a hitting session, her right glute(butt cheek to her) and her stomach muscles (especially left oblique) should be tired and sore. Remember we throw a 30 oz. Skyl stick for distance and spin rate.

So I ask this, does the glute firing turning the femur in the hip socket initialize the launch??

May 3, 2014
Teach them how to hit line drives off the tee!

In order to hit consistent line drives/ fly balls (launch angles of 7 degrees or higher) the hitter must turn the barrel. If they were to launch a dead barrel they would be chopping down on the ball and would have a very inconsistent swing to say the least. So, of course the hitter must turn the barrel. But I don't think they need to snap the barrel. With that being said, I am working on DD hand strength so she can turn the barrel faster.

Thank you for your 80/20 answer. I would agree with that also.

I like the idea of increasing grip strength. I know one of my better power hitters has really good grip strength which equates to forearm strength.

May 3, 2014
Buttermaker, what a cool clip. Could learn and talk a lot about that. What MB says is very interesting. "As long as the the "torso" includes the entire pelvic girdle/"hips", or we interchange it with "trunk" of the body I'm good with that. "

I tell my DD that during and after a hitting session, her right glute(butt cheek to her) and her stomach muscles (especially left oblique) should be tired and sore. Remember we throw a 30 oz. Skyl stick for distance and spin rate.

So I ask this, does the glute firing turning the femur in the hip socket initialize the launch??

I will say that I and my hitters feel it more (as far as soreness) in the rear flank area (above the rear glutes). Don't know why - maybe Mud can chime in.

I don't feel it or see it as the glute "firing." The rear leg is providing pressure to turn the pelvis forward and as the pre swing movement starts the pressure of the rear leg to turn forward also ramps up. This in turn ramps up the resistance to keep the pelvis from getting turned forward. The rear leg is never turning in the hip socket. It is fused / locked / connected. Right or wrong in the descriptions that's how I feel it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pbx90z2KiP1usf292o1_400.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Inside pitch. Tight TTB.

Bonds' top two cues where about the hands staying up and being close.

Hands stay up ... work/release the barrel (not the hands, but the barrel) down to the ball.

When you work/release the barrel head down is when the hands go away from the body ... 'out from'.

Being close is a common theme among the pros ... it wasn't just a cue that Bonds' used.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bonds' top two cues where about the hands staying up and being close.

Hands stay up ... work/release the barrel (not the hands, but the barrel) down to the ball.

When you work/release the barrel head down is when the hands go away from the body ... 'out from'.

Being close is a common theme among the pros ... it wasn't just a cue that Bonds' used.

In the book on Hitting Biomechanics they discuss the barrel losing velocity/acceleration when the hands get away from the body. They have thousands of analysis to support their research. I like Ted Williams thoughts on this in his video as well as Ortiz, about keeping the hands closer to the body. Ted also said it's a shorter swing and it's "tougher" to get the swing going with the hands/barrel away from the body.

Although, what about the hitter who gets their hands farther back, away from the back shoulder slightly? They still have a rotational point with the hands. The hands can be away from the body/shoulder to some degree.

Like in this clip (nice opening rotation to power the pitching motion BTW)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
extreme hands away from the back shoulder/body, although there is a good rotational point with the hands.

giphy.gif

So does it matter how far away from the body the hands get?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't know who this is but, why they dont throw inside to her on every pitch is beyond me. I am not fond of that swing. With that being said, she is getting it done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole