Tryouts - Do you interview the parents? What questions would you ask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A few I've heard and one or two I've experienced:

• Have you ever grabbed another parent's child after a game and yelled at them for having a bad tournament?
  • If we qualify for Nationals, will you allow your dd to travel to the tournament with others headed to the tournament or will you bring her down after you get off work on Friday? (Tournament started Thursday and dd got there Saturday late.)
  • If your dd is the #2 pitcher on the team, will you remove dd from the team if she doesn't get to pitch the championnship games of tournaments? (Yup had that happen.)
  • Since this is your 3rd team this year, if we keep you on our team, what are the chances your dd will play a full year for us? (I asked it and they said 100%. Reference the pitcher question.)
  • When you publish your weekly update email to parents, friends, ... on how great your dd is, will you promise to not attack teammates of hers in those emails? (Had that one happen.)
  • Say practice time is 11:00 a.m. What time should we expect your dd to arrive? (DD played on a team were it was guaranteed that the "star" wouldn't arrive until all of the practice set up and running was done.)
  • How many times have you and your spouse removed yourself from the stands to go to the OF?
  • If our team has a team bonding outing, can we count on your dd being there?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
How many times have you and your spouse removed yourself from the stands to go to the OF?

This is not necessarily a negative, in my opinion.

A parent that recognizes that they need a "time-out" is a lot better than one that doesn't!

Nov 18, 2013

• Have you ever grabbed another parent's child after a game and yelled at them for having a bad tournament?
  • If we qualify for Nationals, will you allow your dd to travel to the tournament with others headed to the tournament or will you bring her down after you get off work on Friday? (Tournament started Thursday and dd got there Saturday late.)
  • If your dd is the #2 pitcher on the team, will you remove dd from the team if she doesn't get to pitch the championnship games of tournaments? (Yup had that happen.)
  • Since this is your 3rd team this year, if we keep you on our team, what are the chances your dd will play a full year for us? (I asked it and they said 100%. Reference the pitcher question.)
  • When you publish your weekly update email to parents, friends, ... on how great your dd is, will you promise to not attack teammates of hers in those emails? (Had that one happen.)
  • Say practice time is 11:00 a.m. What time should we expect your dd to arrive? (DD played on a team were it was guaranteed that the "star" wouldn't arrive until all of the practice set up and running was done.)
  • How many times have you and your spouse removed yourself from the stands to go to the OF?
  • If our team has a team bonding outing, can we count on your dd being there?

Love the list!!

We had a pitcher exactly like the one you describe! Quit multiple teams after not getting all the attention. Last one to arrive to practice and the first to leave. Never helped set up or clean up. Then the parents run around talking about how important team and loyalty are. I guess that only applies to everyone else and not their own kid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors