Tryouts - Do you interview the parents? What questions would you ask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Thinking about the upcoming tryout season and wondering how many coaches interview the parents. Particularly at the younger age groups (8U, 10U, 12U)

What questions would you ask?

Oct 3, 2009
I don't "interview" them per se but I do make it a point to go over and talk to the parents during tryouts. It is amazing what you can learn by just asking about their DD, their last team, what they are looking for in a team. Open-ended questions that allow them to expose any crazy or on the more optimistic side good things to know about their DD and what they are looking for in a team.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm not a coach but from a parent perspective, I pay attention to the other parents at tryouts for sure. The team we ended up going with this year is a new team in an existing organization. I took my daughter to practice with the girls who are a year older before the tryout for her year's team. The way the organization seems to run at this level, I thought it would give me a pretty decent sense of things. The parents were happy, non-gossipy, friendly, welcoming. Of course, I can't guarantee that will translate on a newly forming team but so far, so good. All this to say, if I were a coach I would definitely want to pay attention to the parents almost as much as the girls. It seems to me one set of crappy parents can seriously damage morale for an entire team. There's my amateur opinion on it anyway :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, at 8U you are coaching the parents too so I would not be too worried about it. I love 8U. You want them involved but not too involved.

At 12U I might call their last coach.

Jun 7, 2013
Some possible questions: Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Have you ever been banished to the outfield for rude behavior? Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thinking about the upcoming tryout season and wondering how many coaches interview the parents. Particularly at the younger age groups (8U, 10U, 12U)

What questions would you ask?

We have a 'spy' in the bleachers during tryouts to report on parents. Not an Assistant Coach, but someone we trust to give us a heads up on any red flags or concerns.

We don't interview parents but we do talk to the ones we don't know individually and let them talk about their previous teams and experiences. We may call someone we mutually know to get an opinion as well if we are thinking about offering a player a roster spot.

Jun 7, 2013

Way back when, I went with a friend to an army recruiter. I had no interest in joining the army but the recruiter was persistent and began asking a lot of questions including, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" I said, "Convicted? No!". He lost interest very quickly after that.

My favorite question to ask is, "Why are you leaving the team you're currently on?"

It almost always produces answers you can use and enables you to verify through other parents from the same team (or the coaches if you know them) if what the parents are saying is true.

One of the biggest red flags you can get is having everything a parent tells you debunked by more than a few parents/coaches of the team they're leaving.

One of the biggest green flags you can get is when a few parents corroborate their story, and when the old coach is 100% aware that the girl is looking elsewhere (especially if they know it is YOUR team that has their interest) and that the reasons he/she was given are the same as what the parent is telling you. If a family is open with their former coaches, it is always a good sign.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12