Tryout fee? What?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. Girls go to these tryouts and have no interest in playing on the team. This cuts down on having girls there that are just there to practice, mingle and have something to do.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
In baseball yes. My DD's played for a softball team that a baseball academy started for one season. They charged the boys for baseball tryouts even though they didn't pay for the fields. The thinking is that they can, they only want serious inquiries and as a for profit corp they believe their time is worth money. BS if you ask me and I told him girls won't pay. The baseball academy isn't around any longer.

Oct 25, 2009
Somewhat related, restaurants have many people drinking water now instead of a beverage. That won't last long though. Next next will be water at "half the price of a beverage" and then, of course, full price.

Maybe those youth that can't afford tryout fees will be able to play under a "scholarship" program.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The fee although nominal helps separate the wheat from the chaff as the players (and parents) tend to be a bit more serious about it if they have to pay something. And of course it does help get things going financially. If we got to a point where we did tryouts we would probably do the same thing.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Don't see it in Ohio for girls. There has always been an extensive list for fastpitch tryouts in Ohio on the Ohio Fastpitch Connection / The Softball Zone. I don't recall seeing a tryout fee ever listed. Not even for the higher level teams. Not that a few could not have been out there though. Who cares if someone is only using it for practice? Some of those girls might not make the team they wanted. Some might make a connection with a coach. Some might become a player you stay in contact with and have sub at some point, etc.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The fee although nominal helps separate the wheat from the chaff as the players (and parents) tend to be a bit more serious about it if they have to pay something. And of course it does help get things going financially. If we got to a point where we did tryouts we would probably do the same thing.

Relatively common in our area. It is not unusual for one player to "try out" for four or five teams. It is also not unusual for a team to make offers to 20 players just to get the 12 or so they want. To add to the festivities, one local academy also gives free t-shirts to anyone that pays the try out fee!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The gold team here use to charge a rather large fee for tryouts, couple of $100 if I remember correctly. Probably their way of thinning the herd for only serious prospects.

Most A level teams around here are "invitation only" tryouts, and hold no fee.

B levels are usually "open" tryouts, not sure I've ever heard of one charging though.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
While we don't charge for tryout fee, last year we provided a written evaluation for each player. That took a bit of time/effort to compile.