Tryout fee? What?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Common for reasons Amy mentioned. It makes it easier to swallow when the teams give out t-shirts. The fees pretty much cover the shirts and field rentals, and if anyone who tries out who didn't want to play wears the shirt, it's free advertising.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Some of the marquee teams in our area have started charging a fee to tryout. If your DD makes the team, the fee is credited towards her dues. I have also heard of teams "grading" players, and if your DD grades above a certain score the money is refunded, regardless of whether or not she makes the team. This is an attempt to avoid having 250 girls show up for tryouts and 80% are no where near qualified to make the team.

Oct 25, 2009
This could have been just a fish tale but years ago I heard the Virginia Shamrocks charged more than a $1,000 to tryout. They were (may still be) one of the best organizations that existed at the time.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While I know of no tryout fees around here, I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like tryouts are a costless endeavor for the team or coaches.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
This could have been just a fish tale but years ago I heard the Virginia Shamrocks charged more than a $1,000 to tryout. They were (may still be) one of the best organizations that existed at the time.

I never heard that but I know one of the Shamrock teams flies to Japan to play. I know the younger teams don't charge for tryouts.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In addition to the try out fee there should be a $10 surcharge if the coaches have to listen to parents talk in great detail about their DD's last season, $10 to look at statistics from any season, and $5 for every pitch they throw over 3 (excluding change up).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

The last time we played them they were still wearing uniforms from the 1980's. What are they doing with the money?