Trying to convert DD to IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the gifs knightsb. Can I ask what program you use to make them?

benjey, I use Adobe ImageReady.

ben_dd_slow_zpssrb5vdcg.gif

Read this recent BM post in another thread, and the subsequent one:

I'm posting this to show you what a "student" should look like and feel when working this drill.........Hope her dad and her don't mind.........She is working to turn from palm up to palm down through release while keeping the spin slightly to the right........

She is DEFINITELY catching the whip..........You can see the "snap of the whip" at the bottom clear as day as her forearm ROTATES to propel the ball..........Loose and relaxed......Catch the whip..........

pq1jt.gif

JJ had a great video post in another thread.

@4:10
"It seems like the priority is always speed, velocity, anything to make the ball go faster, and I am saying before we worry about velocity, we've got to understand what our form and posture needs to be and then speed is built on top of that".

Starting @2:00 in Rich's video, he describes what your DD is doing. Bending at the waist and muscling the ball for speed and velocity. IMO, your DD is bowling versus using IR to whip the ball, her form and posture are not correct.

You asked for suggestions, I would divide her practice into two parts, throwing mechanics (TM) and drive mechanics (DM). For TM, I would go back to the BM Lock-it-in drill and work on it and post video as a check point, and repeat for the other steps in the IR progression. For DM, I would use JS thread as a guide, but I would do it without a ball, just focusing on the feel of the lower half.

I would show DD our end goal (really good JS gif), so she can see what we are working towards.
29djr0x.gif

As her father and coach, you have to join her in this journey, do the drills with her. You have to be able to describe it to her, show it to her, and if you can get her to feel what you want her to do you're on your way.

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions Knightsb. I just watched that Balswickvideo last night and thought the same thing. She has always been taught to get her hips fully open so she needs to bend over to avoid hitting her hip. I will post updates of the drills as we progress. Thanks again for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi