Trying to convert DD to IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
DD is a 10u player that has only been taught HE. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any local PC who teaches IR so I am trying to teach her using the information on this board. We have been using boardmember's drills to have IR catches for a few weeks. Took a video of her first attempt at throwing a full motion pitch with IR. Would love any feedback on her IR and or suggestions on what else to address next in her clearly flawed delivery mechanics. Thanks

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zfhvzp9xh3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Welcome Benjey....your DD is at the stage of just needing to learn how to play catch underhand....this GIF that BM posted recently is a nice look at a girl just throwing the ball underhand with the desired whip action, posture etc. Your DD's motion needs to be built up before she ingrains some bad habits. Right now she is all upper body with no leg drive, my impression of her motion is that she is putting her brain too much in her arm and really does not feel how the rest of the body relates to the motion shes just trying to make a circle as fast as she can. Pitching is much more rhythmic than this and involves synchronizing the top half circle with a powerful lower half leg drive and timing it all so that the last quarter of the delivery looks like the GIF.

Check out all of the sticky threads in this forum and start working the drills. But I suggest keeping it simple right now and just getting her to learn how to throw underhand correctly. Once she has the basic feel then you can backwards chain it to a full motion.

pq1jt.gif

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2011
Benjey...I'm just a bucket dad learning the ropes here so I can't give much advice. One thing that I do know is by hearing you and your DD laughing and having fun with this surely means that you guys are on the right track! Keep enjoying her!

Lot's of great coaches to learn from on this site. Best of luck to your DD!

Nov 5, 2014
Jjsqeeze you are exactly correct about her lower half. She has never gotten any contribution from leg drive.As an HE pitcher she always threw harder than everybody else because of her long wippy (not in the IR meaning) arms and the speed of her arm circle. Her problems were always with control. Until finding this site I stayed mostly hands off and relied on a local PC. Now I know better but not sure I am qualified to completely rebuild her delivery. Everything is in contrast to what she has been taught. We will keep trying as long as she is willing.

Thanks Otis

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Welcome to DFP! Do you happen to have a side view? Something similar to the clip JJ posted would be great.

Ken

Nov 5, 2014
Ken just took a side view video now<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2-eS7WNG8X4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802