Transitioning to IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2017
My 12 year old DD has begun transitioning to IR or forearm fire as Phil Shonberg refers to it.
She has definitey picked up some velocity when she actually does in her warmups from open position it but is having a hard time with her arm Positioning as soon as she goes into full motion. She can’t seem to grasp the palm up and lead with the elbow while going full.
anyone have any suggestions ? Or better yet , are we making a mistake trying to switch ? This is her trying and then actually what she’s doing ... thanks

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Carly Schoenberg is the name of the young lady doing the instruction. She is working very hard and is good at teaching IMO.

- Softball Pitching: Reach, THEN open

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This may be helpful as well

- Softball Pitching: Slow motion Delivery

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She can’t seem to grasp the palm up and lead with the elbow while going full.

Huh?? She is doing great for a 12YOA kid.

glasses2.JPGglasses.JPG

Perhaps you should take another look at your DD's video. Her hand is under the ball. So, her elbow has to be leading her arm. Maybe she could use a *little* more bend in the arm.

If you want to improve the bend, try this drill. At the beginning of the drill, pay attention to the bend and the hand under the ball. He

Your DD needs to work on her posture. You should take a video of her from behind and make sure that she has BI (brush interference).

Or better yet , are we making a mistake trying to switch ?

IR is the only way to throw the ball. There is no other way...every good college pitchers uses IR.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This may be helpful as well

I would be careful about recommending her videos without noting a significant flaw in her motion. Her brush interference is lacking, to say the least. She also tends to "monkey butt".

The lack of brush interference does two things:

1) It significantly reduces her control.
2) It decreases her speed.

Top college pitchers have really great brush interference.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
I would be careful about recommending her videos without noting a significant flaw in her motion. Her brush interference is lacking, to say the least. She also tends to "monkey butt".

The lack of brush interference does two things:

1) It significantly reduces her control.
2) It decreases her speed.

Top college pitchers have really great brush interference.
To the OP. I think she has just fine IR IMHO. To Sluggers point, she is monkeybutting but I will take it a step further. She is also replanting and thus technically illegal. The two are often seen together.

Focus on brush and staying legal and it should come together.

Feel free to reach out or email me if you want me to clarify more. She has solid potential!

May 30, 2017
To the OP. I think she has just fine IR IMHO. To Sluggers point, she is monkeybutting but I will take it a step further. She is also replanting and thus technically illegal. The two are often seen together.

Focus on brush and staying legal and it should come together.

Feel free to reach out or email me if you want me to clarify more. She has solid potential!
Thank you so much. Can you explain brush interference to me a little ? Or a video recommendation ? She works her tail off so we will Get right to it. Thank you !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi