Try-outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but attend any softball camps the schools have during the year. Great one-on-one exposure and I know of several girls who have been 'found' that way. Also, make a skills tape, put it on You Tube, and when you email the coaches, attach a link to the video. Makes it easy for the coaches to view.

In addition to the honest assessment ideas, make sure she really has the commitment to play in college. My DD turned down a full ride because she no longer wanted to play in college, and did not want to miss out on the college experience. Playing in college is a job; up at 6am, in your rooms at 10, lots of travel, etc. Many girls don't realize that until they get there and experience it first hand.
I agree with Atlantabell's comments. You have to put the work in to make the contacts; and be sure to give the coach the summer schedule so they can coordinate their visits. It also helps to be on a team with a lot of talent (as long as she plays); if a coach is watching several girls, they may happen to see your DD too.

Excellent point. One of the DIII advantages that really appealed to my DD was that she could play (or choose not to play) on her own terms. Her financial aid package is based on her grades/scores/need, not on satsifying the demands of the SB coach, so she's free to pursue other interests if softball is no longer fun or becomes less of a priority. This isn't the case for athletic scholarships.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Also, make a skills tape, put it on You Tube, and when you email the coaches, attach a link to the video. Makes it easy for the coaches to view.

Your half way there.... Put it on You-tube or any other site that host, then post the link on here, then send them the link of your post on DFP to the coach.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but attend any softball camps the schools have during the year. Great one-on-one exposure and I know of several girls who have been 'found' that way.

Good point. Sally Miller ( the TCNJ coach) runs softball clinics every winter. Keep an eye on the softball team's Web site during the fall for the dates

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06