Try-outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2012
My daughter is a pitcher. She is leaving 14U and moving to a new 16U or 18U team in NJ. Some of the showcase teams she's trying out for are like $2,000, plus traveling all over the east coast and beyond for tournaments. I just can't afford it. She did try out and make an 18U showcase team called the Jersey Girls that was more reasonable and play in local showcase tournaments. The problem is I can't find any information regarding the team, ie, stats/records. I'm getting an ulcer worrying over the money vs. a good, competitive team. I don't want to spend her first year of college for a travel softball team. Any suggestions? :confused:

May 11, 2012
Just a thought:

Have you talked to unbias people who know the game of softball about your daughter? How much of a realistic shot does she have at earning a scholarship. If she has a good shot then I would say to think of it as an investment. Your spending 3000-4000 now to potentially save much more money later on. ( paying for her college). If the investment is a wise one than you wont regret it.

If your really not sure or still cant wing it......then do more reserach about the local team. Ask others who have played on the team. Think of all the questions you have and ask the coach. They shouldnt expect you to accept an offer without informing yourself first. Go for it, it will be worth it. Especially if your pleased with what you hear about the local team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are asking good questions. Don't be a shrinking violet about this stuff...it is a lot of money and a huge time commitment. Call up the coach of Jersey Girls and ask him/her about recruiting. Ask her/him specifically about who from their team played in college, and if they have any contacts with college coaches.

Generally, a "showcase tournament" is similar to snake oil. Think about it a little bit--you have a tournament with say 60 to a 100 teams, attended by some coaches. What are the odds that a college coach will wander by your game just as your DD hits a grand slam home run? The whole concept is silly.

College coaches do attend games, but only if there is a player they want to see. The way to get your DD (darling daughter) a place to play ball in college is for you to contact a lot of colleges, set up interviews and then talk to the college coaches. There is a great book by Cathy Aradi (Fastpitch Recruiting) that explains recruiting in a lot of detail. It is $30 or so, and well worth it.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2012
If it is the Jersey Girls team I am thinking of, then I can tell you that they play in some very competitive tournaments, and the coach knows what he is doing. They usually have a strong team and a lot of girls that go on to play in colleges in the NY/PA/NJ area.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with other posters that you need to have someone give you an unbaised evaluation of your DD and her abilities. There is no sense in spending $10K on a showcase season only to come up empty handed. Also, what kind of grades does your DD have? Unless she is a 70MPH pitcher or a catcher who hits 20+ home runs a game, her grades and ACT/SAT scores WILL matter!

Where does your DD want to go to school? You may get more 'bang for your buck' reaching out to the coaches of the colleges your DD is interested in and attending their camps/clinics. Joining a showcase team is a 'shotgun' approach to recruiting, and you may be better off taking 'rifle shots'. There is a recruiting forum on here that can also provide a lot of helpful hints.

Aug 13, 2012
Thanks everyone...I appreciate everyones comments. She wants to attend The College of New Jersey for Kinseology (sp) and her grades/SAT scores will be a huge factor to being accepted there. Thank you all again!

Apr 6, 2012
Okay, let me put in my two cents worth. First, the bulk of responsibility for recruiting lies with you and your daughter. She needs to write coaches, tell them who she is playing for, and send them her Fall schedule. As tournaments get closer,she needs to let them know what time her games are, where she is playing, etc. Do NOT send bulk e-mails but a personal e-mail or note to each coach. Be persistent!

Second, unfortunately, it does matter what team your daughter plays on because the more well known the team is and the more well connected the coach is, the better the showcases they will get into. And, if they are a very good team they will get the main complex where most of the coaches will be. Ask to see the team's showcase schedule, because not all showcases are created equal. Some tournaments listed as showcases end up with NO college coaches or very few showing up. Check the websites of some of the better known teams in your state and see where they are going. That will help you see where your team should be planning on going. Again, even if you go to a good showcase, college coaches will not come watch your daughter without her writing to them.

As to the expense, yes, it costs money to get on one of these teams. The travel is also expensive. You may need to share travel with other families to cut costs. Ask if they have fundraisers to help defray costs.

It is a tough decision and you have to decide what your family can and will be able to do.

As said before, if this team doesn't have a website, no college coach can find them and that is a problem.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
JG6054: I'm a Jersey guy as well (Morris County). My kid is the same age as yours; going from 14U to 16/18 ball.

The Jersey Girls have been in existence for some time & are a very reputable organization. They play in regional events on the east coast as most of their players aren't looking to play out west, so she'll be seen by the coaches she's interested in if she wants to attend college locally.

You can go to this site to track down some information on other club teams: New Jersey Girls Fastpitch Softball Team Directory

Best of luck to you. TCNJ is a great school. It is very competitive for admissions. The DD got the following advice from a tryout over the weekend from a Gold team coach: "What are the 1st three questions any college coach asks me, the club ball coach about a potential player: 1. What are her grades (GPA); 2. What are her SAT/ACT scores; 3. What are her parents like?" Pass these three questions and you're farther ahead than most.

Jul 5, 2012
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but attend any softball camps the schools have during the year. Great one-on-one exposure and I know of several girls who have been 'found' that way. Also, make a skills tape, put it on You Tube, and when you email the coaches, attach a link to the video. Makes it easy for the coaches to view.

In addition to the honest assessment ideas, make sure she really has the commitment to play in college. My DD turned down a full ride because she no longer wanted to play in college, and did not want to miss out on the college experience. Playing in college is a job; up at 6am, in your rooms at 10, lots of travel, etc. Many girls don't realize that until they get there and experience it first hand.

I agree with Atlantabell's comments. You have to put the work in to make the contacts; and be sure to give the coach the summer schedule so they can coordinate their visits. It also helps to be on a team with a lot of talent (as long as she plays); if a coach is watching several girls, they may happen to see your DD too.

Dec 7, 2011
Note on TB selection :

Investigate the team and who makes it up. Some teams may have a good organization name but they might be a pick-up team full of high-maintenance players. After that then look for the ugly head of nepotism. This can be cancerous to a team especially if your DD is competing for the same spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06