Trick Play to end Florida 7a State Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Watched an 18u top 10 in nation team playing another 18u team that was a B team.

It was obvious in the first inning the top 10 team was going to pummel the other team. So in the second inning almost all their batters started bunting.

From the team that was already losing by seven runs from the first inning,
a man said to me
'Look at that, their batters are being challenged so much by our pitcher they are bunting.'

I replied,
Probably their coach decided to make a game of this since they already went through the lineup in the first inning.

The man said 'you really think they are bunting on purpose?!'
I said yes, did you see how many home runs were in the first inning.

When the game ended at run rule in the fifth. The man said well at least our defense got some work.

What would have been more embarrassing?
the top 10 team ripping the snot out of the pitcher.
Or
the coach deciding to take the strategy he did?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
I hope that coach feels great about making that runner cry and have a bad memory to live with for a long time to come.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
For a HS state tourney game, the last game for the Seniors on the team, running a play that they had worked on and not run at all, I can accept the possibility that it may be seen as 'embarrassing the other team', although it isn't running up the score which IS what is against the 'unwritten rules'. Again, as has been said by others, if the other team is paying attention, the play doesn't work. This is different than stretching base hits into doubles, stealing bases and the other things that constitute running up the score. Another way to9 look at it is that you are putting the other team out of their misery if you think that the game was out of reach. If you don't think the game was out of reach then the gloves are off in any case and you do what you need to win.

Mar 10, 2020
I hope that coach feels great about making that runner cry and have a bad memory to live with for a long time to come.
Might as well blame the coach for everything and take all the pressure off. There is the end of competitive sports.

Sep 8, 2015
This might be on Brantley’s 3B coach. We were 1-2 against Brantley this year. So no love lost. Your down 8-2, very simple. On the bag, stay, stay stay…

Now if he was communicating that, then it’s on the player. I’ve seen a half dozen of the videos and can’t honestly tell what the communication was.

What this does not show is Brantley beat Lakewood in a home/away 2 game set in the middle of the season. Brantley is legit. Lakewood is legit! Props to both teams. Props to Lakewood for taking the win when it matters. Both teams earned and deserved to be playing in the toughest division in FL.

Nov 9, 2021
The coach was just trying to show everyone how smart he was. But to each his own.

Those were two of the best teams in Florida all year long. I have no problem with it at all. They found a way to get an out. This wasn’t a superior team just playing games with an inferior opponent.

They successfully executed a play they had worked on. That should be commended not ridiculed. They didn’t taunt the other team or anything from what I can see. Let the girls have fun and be creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
The coach was just trying to show everyone how smart he was. But to each his own.
He's dome a better job getting kids with Miami mailing addresses to have have a Sarasota mailing addresses.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
Bradenton, FL
The girls had practiced this during the season, they were so excited coach finally called it for last out of State Championship last night.

Not what is was about. Lake Brantley played a good game. LWR needed a final out and it was a great opportunity to let the girls try to run a play they had practiced and were so excited when it got called. Outcome at that point was pretty much determined, but made ending memorable for the girls.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah