Trick Play to end Florida 7a State Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@Nimrod
I can see where you are coming from and understand the point of view, but that does not excuse the offense from putting themselves in the position of having the play made. It was a brain-freeze moment on the runner's part, it seems.

If the P had been tied for the state record for career Ks and had the opportunity of breaking the record on this final out, was ahead in the count 0-2 and facing a batter who was known for not being able to hit drop, would you be saying the same thing about throwing the drop out of the zone for a swinging strike rather than going after her with a pitch in the zone for a routine defensive play? That would certainly be exciting and memorable and making use of an opportunity the offense presented for retiring the final batter.

I did not per se say that the game was still contested. A 6 run deficit in a state final game is 99.9% not able to be overcome. I DID say that I am fairly certain that both of these teams were capable of scoring 6 runs in a third of an inning against other teams.

In my opinion, it boils down to this; the offense put themselves in a position to have that runner retired by not having situational awareness. Yes, the defense created the situation, but the offense still had the responsibility to remain aware and vigilant.

Jan 14, 2021
The losing team...Lake Brantley...was the only team all year to beat Lakewood Ranch (twice) and this was great revenge. Also, with the game pretty much over, the Lake Brantley coach called a few bush-league plays...sac bunt...attempt to steal 3rd...just to get one more run when they needed six. The runner on 2nd taking huge leads to bait a throw had to be the final straw for that coach and he put the fake overthrow on. It was awesome. That coach btw is the TJ of Tampa Mustangs TJ...arguably the top tb team in the state.

Jan 14, 2021
By jumping, pertending to miss a non thrown ball, similar to applying a fake tag without the ball, Obstruction, runner gets the next base?
I wondered about that too...the fake throw is okay but a fake tag...if you see it that way...would be a no no.

Jan 14, 2021
I hope that coach feels great about making that runner cry and have a bad memory to live with for a long time to come.
That is the goal of every coach in a championship game...hoping the losers...um...lose. Feeling bad about losing and remembering that it hurts to lose...part of the game.

Mar 10, 2020
The losing team...Lake Brantley...was the only team all year to beat Lakewood Ranch (twice) and this was great revenge. Also, with the game pretty much over, the Lake Brantley coach called a few bush-league plays...sac bunt...attempt to steal 3rd...just to get one more run when they needed six. The runner on 2nd taking huge leads to bait a throw had to be the final straw for that coach and he put the fake overthrow on. It was awesome. That coach btw is the TJ of Tampa Mustangs TJ...arguably the top tb team in the state.
This must have been posted to help heal the wounded feelings of those who felt bad for the losing team.
Play to win or don't play.