Travel Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Refunds will be an issue if dues are paid in... most team will average between $500-$2500 depending on #of games, facilities/fields rented, equipment, uniforms etc... if one were to pay a specific amount of money and them jump ship, it needs to be made clear by way of written contract that there are no refunds. Insurance is cheapest when purchased through your sanctioning body.
At this age player, development needs to be priority #1. Work on high level throwing mechanics a lot! Base running at 8 and 10u will be king. So learn how to really push the limits on the base paths.
Most importantly pick out your top 6 athletic players and get them with a pitching coach ASAP!!!! At this age they don't need to be burners... just being able to get pitches over the plate will win a lot of games. I'm suggesting 6 because typically only half of them will stick it out or will put in the nesc. amount of work... this way you'll have 3 or 4 who can pitch on game day.
You may also consider looking at joining the local rec league and playing up at the 10u level. This will get you a dozen or so more games and a practice field!!!.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Oh I forgot to touch on the first players, refunds, and losing players... We have a few girls willing to be backup that didn't want to be full time on the travel team. They couldn't dedicate that much time, but wanted to participate in tourneys here and there so if we need someone in a pinch we have that. None of our girls tried out...so I don't think try outs will be necessary as our town is very small and players are limited (we only have 10). And refund...Well no one paid anything to join, so we won't have anything to refund.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

What is your plan to fund tournament fees, practice field fees, insurance costs, uniform costs, etc.?

I always cringe a bit when I hear about parents who want their DD to play on the travel/select team, but aren't willing to fully commit to the schedule. At every practice, the game is taught, and skills are worked on. Players missing practices aren't developing with their teammates.

Mar 13, 2017
We do fundraising for tournament costs.. Parents pay for uniforms and our community league let's us use their field for practice.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've never heard or seen anything like that before! Lol very interesting.

Back in the the day when my DD's did it 10U if they did not get $600-$700 in an afternoon it was because they were slacking. And slackers can run home from the fundraiser! :)

ETA - Word of caution. Decide up front how funds will be distributed and make sure everyone understands/ is on board. Will it all go into a general fund for tournaments? Will it be divided between those who work the fundraiser and placed in individual player accounts? There is no right or wrong answer, but decide ahead of time to avoid issues later.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2017
Back in the the day when my DD's did it 10U if they did not get $600-$700 in an afternoon it was because they were slacking. And slackers can run home from the fundraiser! :)

ETA - Word of caution. Decide up front how funds will be distributed and make sure everyone understands/ is on board. Will it all go into a general fund for tournaments? Will it be divided between those who work the fundraiser and placed in individual player accounts? There is no right or wrong answer, but decide ahead of time to avoid issues later.
We already have 1 account for the team that all the fundraising money goes into. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00