Travel softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2016
Kentucky
I am posting this here in hopes that I can get some insight from people that have been down the road that I am potentially about to go down with my DD. She started in tball when she was 3. She is now 6 and has been playing up on 8u coach pitch team since she was 4(she turned 5 a few months later). I have slowly brought her along trying to make sure that this is something that she enjoys and has a passion for. She is one of the best hitters on the team already and within her lateal range(this is where you sometimes can tell her age) is an above average fielder. She LOVES softball. Wants to stay after her games to watch the older girls, watch games that I have DVR'd for her, etc. My question is this....My wife and I have been approached several times about joining several travel teams. One of which is one of the best teams probably in the state. My concern is accelerating her progression too quickly and her getting burnt out. Aside from her talent and her softball IQ which is also beyond her years, her passion for the sport is something that I don't want to diminish. What are your thoughts on her starting travel ball at her age if she has the talent to do so? She just completed her first season of Allstars. I would love some insight. Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Only you know your daughter. I personally think 8U TB is too young but it's out there. I'm not sure that a 6 year old is ready for the grind of playing TB. If you choose
to have her do it just keep an eye out to make sure she is having fun.

Jun 12, 2015
Mine started travel at age 8 in 8U and we don't regret it. Glad we didn't start younger though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agreed ^^^^^^^

Way to young for travel . Just play her up in a division in rec. Fully commit to travel at 12-14 age group

I think this is going to vary a lot based on each kid, and the region. I'm learning that what we know as "travel ball" in So Cal isn't the same animal in other parts of the country. As for age, moving my DD to TB at 10yo was the best thing for her development. Another year of rec ball would have been painful. That said, she wasn't ready for TB a year earlier than that.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I guess it varies by the competition too. Our league is seriously competitive. I think it has a lot to do with demographics too. Parents cant afford the travel scene as much as the LA/OC area. So parents keep their dd's in rec longer. We jumped from REC to Travel to Rec, back to travel. Now WarriorAngela is convinced that Rec does nothing for her but to socialize with friends. We were going to go back to give her more reps, but I think with her HS schedule coming up and travel, it will be way to much. Plus I want her to play another sport in HS for the winter. Maybe basketball or volleyball??

Jul 18, 2016
Kentucky
Thanks for the insight. This is the way that I was kind of leaning to begin with. Canyonjoe, that is my fear. On one hand I know she would enjoy the competitiveness, but at the end of the day, she is 6...her having fun and continuing her growth is the most important thing for me right now.

Jun 8, 2016
The only issue becomes is if she isn't having any fun because her rec teammates aren't able to catch,throw and she can. My daughter plays rec, and probably will for the forseeable future, but
in general I would have to move her up to 10U in order for her to be able to not worry about knocking out the first baseman with a throw from short...not that she has a Shawon Dunston arm but on most 8U
rec teams here there are probably less than 3 kids who can catch consistently...Doesn't bother her much at the moment
so no big deal but at some point it may become an issue.

Jul 18, 2016
Kentucky
She does sometimes get frustrated with that at times, but more so with girls lack of effort or even knowing what they are supposed to do in certain situations.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I think that Allstars will help to scratch her itch for the time being. If she's like my DD was at age 6, she's more interested in the snack at the end of the game than in the W-L record. Attention span at that age is not great, and trying to keep little itty bitties engaged and motivated for a 2-day tournament would be a chore!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32