Travel softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
She does sometimes get frustrated with that at times, but more so with girls lack of effort or even knowing what they are supposed to do in certain situations.

Generally, pink unicorns, rainbows, and skittles are the status quo for 6U and 8U. There are always a couple standouts in there. But the standouts, in my experience, also were into pink unicorns, rainbows, and skittles. Moving up too much can have emotional ramifications. Older girls expose the younger girls to stuff that is not age appropriate. I recommend leave her in rec for awhile, get her lessons with good instructors, and by 10U or 12U she'll be ready to travel.

Jul 18, 2016
Kentucky
I would normally completely agree, but she has a determination and drive unlike a normal 6 year old. That is my concern though. She loves playing and wants to play all the time, is competitive, and wants to do well. I make sure the first thing I ask her is if she had fun then we talk about her hitting, fielding, etc. Keeping her attention isn't the problem, it's the level of competition at this point

Jun 11, 2013
Maybe she's the next Monica Abbott and should be playing 10U A ball at age 7 but you are asking a group of people that have all
been through it. At least entertain that they might know what they are talking about. Try another sport, learn how to play the piano
do a play or something. If she really loves it when she is a couple of years older move her to TB. We have 3 kids we played 10U
with that are on their 3rd surgeries. Was it from playing too much at 10,11,12?

Jun 11, 2012
My DD started travel ball at age 8. They played in a travel summer league 2 games a week and one tournament. The next year was the same travel summer league and 3 tourneys. Her last year of 10u was way more competitive and now at 16 she plays on a very good 18U showcase team.
I wouldn't commit to anything more than a summer league with maybe one summer tournament, she's still so young

Nov 18, 2013
"Travel" means so many different things. If it's a summer league and the games/tournaments are in-state then "travel" is perfect. If it's year round training and spring, summer & fall seasons and cross crossing the country it would be nuts. Kids don't need to specialize until they approach HS.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
DD was a soccer player and gymnast until 10U. She couldn't even catch the ball. She watched DD1's team win a "C" state softball tourney and was hooked. She started fall ball as a second year 10U at "C" and was on an "A" team by spring. Made no difference that she couldn't catch before second year 10U.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How did my dd ever catch up. She didn't start playing rec until she was 8.

Mine, too. She made all-stars after her first season. Some of her 8U all-star teammates had already been playing for years. Some of them are still playing rec ball.

Jul 18, 2016
Kentucky
Thank you for all the sound advice. I firmly believe that although her talent, competitive, and drive is what it is I fully want her to "be a kid". While I want her to be around the best competition and best coaching, I don't want to push her into a situation where she doesn't have fun anymore. Once again, I truly appreciate all of the advice!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you for all the sound advice. I firmly believe that although her talent, competitive, and drive is what it is I fully want her to "be a kid". While I want her to be around the best competition and best coaching, I don't want to push her into a situation where she doesn't have fun anymore. Once again, I truly appreciate all of the advice!!!

Keeping fun as the first priority is the right approach. As she gets a little older, you may find that playing at a level of competition that pushes her abilities is what makes the game fun for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck