Travel Ball vs. HS Sports vs. other club sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ahh the old high school vs travel debate. Years ago our soccer team at our high school won their first regional title. The first round of state playoffs they were missing their three best players because they had a travel tournament that weekend. Thank god I never had to deal with stuff like that as a hs baseball coach. I would rather lose with kids who are committed to the hs team than win with kids who aren’t.
The CIF HS softball playoffs and state tournament would have players into July. It is poorly spread out scheduling. DD's HS team got invited to State Tournament but could get enough players that wanted to participate because TB season is in full swing and their TB coaches needed them.

May 13, 2023
The CIF HS softball playoffs and state tournament would have players into July. It is poorly spread out scheduling. DD's HS team got invited to State Tournament but could get enough players that wanted to participate because TB season is in full swing and their TB coaches needed them.

Screenshot_20231008-124843_Chrome.jpg

Jan 22, 2011

Is California starting a state championship for softball in 2024? I thought they only did regionals, which end the first Saturday in June. I know players who played in the 2022 CIF NorCal D5 Championship game on June 4th and players on the team that won the 2023 NorCal Regional D2 Championship on June 3rd. The CF calendar says the 2024 Regional Championship games are on June 1st.

added: California started doing State Regional championship play in 2022.

OC Register article is behind a paywall, but here is an LA Times article about baseball and softball teams opting out of Regional championships.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
While you may have experienced what you commented say on your school roster. It does not reflect the students who don't play sports because they can't handle doing both. I like the incentive to have a GPA requirement to participate in sports that can help keep grades up. But it can also be a detriment to those who cant/ dont keep up 🤷‍♀️

Definitely know travel ball players who won't play high school softball particularly because they want to focus on better grades.

So they're still playing a sport, which I'm guessing is still contingent on getting good grades for most of them.

It's not anecdotal. This has been studied.

May 27, 2013
Last school year I know a player who went to her MIT campus visit. Where they offered her a spot on the softball team.
RAD, not trying to be contrary here but are you saying this player was offered a spot on MIT’s softball team in her junior year of HS, or was it more like she’s got a spot on the team if she can make it through admissions?

I wish her all the best! Great school and a huge accomplishment to get admitted there.

May 13, 2023
RAD, not trying to be contrary here but are you saying this player was offered a spot on MIT’s softball team in her junior year of HS, or was it more like she’s got a spot on the team if she can make it through admissions?

I wish her all the best! Great school and a huge accomplishment to get admitted there.
Yes she was offered a spot in her junior year.

From what I understand, MIT does not do pre-admissions (pre-academic confirmation of admissions.) So yes the softball team offered her a spot. And it is yet to see if MIT will confirm admissions. They gave a probability of being accepted. ( looking at her classes/ grades and SAT and ACT test scores)
in this case admissions is high probability but not yet confirmed.

From what I understand, the far greater percentage of colleges DO HAVE pre-academic confirmation of admissions, prior to the actual admission, but there are a few of these high academic colleges that do not.

This person has a plan B that is 100% confirmed if she chooses to go there if MIT does not accept. And that College is already pre-admissions confirmed.

BTW within the general process of getting recruited at college...
It is a common thing that a coach can offer a player of spot and it will be yet to see if they can make admissions to a college. Generally coaches cannot avoid the admissions part. (again most colleges do pre-admissions to confirm)

Also prospects can create application for admittance and be accepted first and then contact softball coaches and let them know they are already confirmed with admissions. Sometimes this route the admissions Department can even help make a connection for Prospect candidates advising coaches Prospect is acceptable.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Yes she was offered a spot in her junior year.

From what I understand, MIT does not do pre-admissions (pre-academic confirmation of admissions.) So yes the softball team offered her a spot. And it is yet to see if MIT will confirm admissions. They gave a probability of being accepted. ( looking at her classes/ grades and SAT and ACT test scores)
in this case admissions is high probability but not yet confirmed.

From what I understand the far greater percentage of colleges DO HAVE pre-academic confirmation of admissions, prior to the actual admission, but there are a few of these high academic colleges that do not.

This person has a plan B that is 100% confirmed if she chooses to go there if MIT does not accept. And that College is already pre-admissions confirmed.

BTW within the general process of getting recruited at college...
It is a common thing that a coach can offer a player of spot and it will be yet to see if they can make admissions to a college. Generally coaches cannot avoid the emissions part.
Also prospects can create application for admittance and be accepted first and then contact softball coaches and let them know they are already confirmed with admissions.
Yes - very familiar with the MIT admission/recruiting process as ds was considering them briefly, and yes you are correct, they don’t to academic prereads with admissions. The seasoned coaches pretty much know if someone has a decent shot based upon grades and test scores to be able to consider them a recruit, but that’s typically after junior year classes are completed. I was just surprised they said that to her before the end of her junior year, before those grades were in. They typically want to see the full junior year slate of grades, plus senior year course selection to tell someone they have a spot if admitted. Then if the coach thinks they stand a good chance, they commit to “the admission process.”

It is a strong testament to her academic ability that she’s made it to this point with them. I wish her the best!

May 13, 2023
Yes - very familiar with the MIT admission/recruiting process as ds was considering them briefly, and yes you are correct, they don’t to academic prereads with admissions. The seasoned coaches pretty much know if someone has a decent shot based upon grades and test scores to be able to consider them a recruit, but that’s typically after junior year classes are completed. I was just surprised they said that to her before the end of her junior year, before those grades were in. They typically want to see the full junior year slate of grades, plus senior year course selection to tell someone they have a spot if admitted. Then if the coach thinks they stand a good chance, they commit to “the admission process.”

It is a strong testament to her academic ability that she’s made it to this point with them. I wish her the best!
Yes strong Testament to her academic ability!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

In 25 years of financial aid and education planning, I've never had one student accepted to MIT. My nephew applied there 15 years ago with a 102.2 weighted GPA, and a 2310 SAT. He wasn't even given an interview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie