Need Advice from HS Coach Regarding HS / Travel Tournament Conflict

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
I am a high school softball coach for 22 years in the State of MA. It is against the MIAA rules to miss a game or practice for another sporting event. I believe the player has to sit out a penalty of 25% of the games. I am sure this is different state to state but in my personal opinion nothing is better or more important than representing your Town , City and HS,. We do not allow our players to play for any other club etc. during our season. I want nothing but 100% commitment from each and every player. Your daughter has to make a decision which is more important not to mention letting your team mates, coaches and school down by agreeing to play in an out side tournament. HS season is what it is and all these tournament games should not be played until the HS season has been completed
Another MA parent here.
In 4 years of varsity C never had an issue with her club team practicing during the season.
Even missed part of the first showcase of the summer because her HS team was in the state championship game. Her club coach coached HS softball too so he understood

Mar 7, 2016
As a High School Varsity coach, I easily would say school ball comes first. With that said, you could have a conversation with the High School coach. I excused a girl last season so she could play in a Showcase tournament in Kansas City, but that is the exception to the rule.
What State was this in? Because Kansas has a KSHAA rule where no travel ball during a season is allowed

Feb 25, 2018
Another MA parent here.
In 4 years of varsity C never had an issue with her club team practicing during the season.
Even missed part of the first showcase of the summer because her HS team was in the state championship game. Her club coach coached HS softball too so he understood
A couple high profile players in Massachusetts missed their high school state playoff games last year to go play in a showcase in PA.

Personally, I don't get students, coaches or parents being ok with that, but to each their own I guess.

Jun 11, 2012
A couple high profile players in Massachusetts missed their high school state playoff games last year to go play in a showcase in PA.

Personally, I don't get students, coaches or parents being ok with that, but to each their own I guess.
That’s not right. More than half of C’s high school team was club players and they all missed showcases that year because they all wanted to play with their friends.
Her club coach was texting during the showcase game to get updates from me.

May 4, 2014
So Cal

Wonder what those college coaches impression would be if they found out the kid they are seeing at the showcase basically told their HS team: yea I dont Care about team it’s all about me… the only way I could see this being OK is if their HS team didn’t need these players - if you’re riding pine and will not see a single inning in playoffs then the HS team should be ok with it but conversation should be had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2018
Wonder what those college coaches impression would be if they found out the kid they are seeing at the showcase basically told their HS team: yea I dont Care about team it’s all about me… the only way I could see this being OK is if their HS team didn’t need these players - if you’re riding pine and will not see a single inning in playoffs then the HS team should be ok with it but conversation should be had

Two of the players were star pitchers. The teams were basically jv teams without them and got promptly knocked out. Both pitchers will be going to local D1 programs next year, so guess the college coaches didn't care.

Don't get it.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Two of the players were star pitchers. The teams were basically jv teams without them and got promptly knocked out. Both pitchers will be going to local D1 programs next year, so guess the college coaches didn't care.

Don't get it.

Wow! That’s just selfish and rotten.. you’re already committed to a D1 and you bail on your HS team to go to a irrelevant showcase… about all there is to “get” is “great job parents you raised a pair of selfish brats”

Jul 14, 2018
Wow! That’s just selfish and rotten.. you’re already committed to a D1 and you bail on your HS team to go to a irrelevant showcase… about all there is to “get” is “great job parents you raised a pair of selfish brats”

While I agree with your sentiment, BlaineAB said this was last year and the players will be going D1 (assume that means they are seniors now). They probably missed out on their sophomore years due to Covid and had limited opportunities to get out to showcases.

I’m sure it sucked for their schools and teammates, but I’d be inclined to cut them a little slack in 2021. Obviously they’re good players who achieved their goals of playing in college, hopefully they can get the full experience of chasing a state title as seniors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee