Travel ball players embracing high school team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2011
I know there are some parents of high-level travel players who are concerned about their DDs playing high school softball because of the lower level of play. With that in mind, I'd like to provide a story of one of my former players who completely transformed a high school program because of her willingness to embrace playing high school softball.

Several years ago I accepted a head coaching position at a local high school of about 650 students in a major metro area. Because it's a private school, we can face schools with enrollments of nearly 1,700 in the state playoffs. We play an opponent nearly every game that has a committed DI player so this is a very good area for softball, yet the school I went to was really well known as a soccer school. After spending almost the entire winter trying to encourage girls to play softball, we had eight girls show up at the first day of practice (I obviously wasn't very convincing but we were able to talk a few other girls in to joining and we had 10 for the opening game of the season). We began to build the program and two years later I heard that a girl from one of the best travel programs in the area was coming to our school. I didn't know the girl and she didn't choose the program for softball, obviously.

I was both excited and concerned. I was excited because she was an outstanding talent. I was concerned because I knew she was going to be playing not only with all rec-league players but some girls who had never even played softball before. I was very concerned about her having a really bad experience. We talked about it at length. She's a wonderful young lady and she assured me that she would handle it well but I really don't think she even understood the level of play.

From day one, this young lady made it her objective to make everything about the program better. We dressed differently, warmed up more effectively, and competed at a higher level in practice. Even though she was a freshman, the older girls looked at her for leadership and that's what she provided.

Primarily because of this one young lady, we went from having eight players at the first day or practice to having more than 30 less than two years later. Through her travel successes playing for one of the nation's top programs, she signed with a DI school. The high school team went from beginning the 2009 season with only eight players to last year winning a league title, albeit the weaker of the two six-team divisions.

So, for those lamenting the beginning of high school season, your daughter can have a tremendous impact on the high school program. This year, her senior year, this young lady will play with an all-state catcher, and two other girls who played at PGF nationals this past summer.

She could have taken a different approach and thought she was better than everyone else the girls she impacted wouldn't have nearly had as good as an experience.

Apr 11, 2012
She could have taken a different approach and thought she was better than everyone else the girls she impacted wouldn't have nearly had as good as an experience.

This quote is key. We are from a rural area and most girls here do not play travel ball. It is all rec and most only pick up a ball during the actual rec season. My daughter is fortunate enough that we drive her just over an hour to play on a high level A travel ball team. A few (and I mean a few (3-5) girls play on B travel ball teams that really are all-star rec ball teams. We have talked about giving back to the community since she has been so fortunate to be able to play and be coached at a higher level (it is a privilege). This year she is helping coach a minor girls (8-10 yo) Little League team and she is so excited and can't wait for practices to start. High school season starts next year and she is looking forward to contributing to the team and hopefully making them better (they come in 2nd to last every season).

Jul 26, 2010
TB players that want to play in HS play in HS. The ones that don't want to, you wouldn't want on your team anyway.

Every individual has different priorities in their life and it is not the place of another individual to judge them. Maybe a kid doesn't want to run the risk of getting hurt. Maybe a kid likes being able to run track in addition to playing TB. Maybe a kid thinks the coach is an a-hole. All good reasons.

-W

Nov 15, 2013
I don't belong to multiple softball boards and so, at least speaking for myself, I have not read this.

I'm not on multiple boards either so this is a great story to give my 8th grade DD.

Sorry, it was a bad joke. My post was word-for-word what someone else wrote on a different board in response to this post. I didn't understand why that guy cared how many boards it was on.

Jul 2, 2013
Travel softball players have the unique (earned) ability to lead many others who are not quite as good.

The ones who embrace this responsibility find rewards they never knew were there. Elevated performance by their teams. But most important, outside the realm of softball, the thanks and congratulations from a whole community, parents, upstanding community members, who understand a great female athlete in every sense of the word.

The ability to give back. Means much more to so many folks, and is the opportunity the travel folks have, that others don't.

Wonderful story.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The coach makes all the difference in the world when it comes to high school softball. A team does not have to win every game for the girls to have fun and enjoy playing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01