Transition to College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2013
Has nothing to do with being gay. Relationships tend to be transitional. We are here to play ball not to engage in drama. It is an activity that is detrimental to the success of the team. If it was a coed debate team I would have the same policy.

Of course it has something to do with a high percentage of gay participants. That's why the issue exists.

It isn't like you can have a rule that players can't engage in having relationships.

Beside teammates having relationships with one another, there are other issues. Another common issue is one teammate stealing another teammates girlfriend. It happens. Drama doesn't go away at the college level.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Of course it has something to do with a high percentage of gay participants. That's why the issue exists.

It isn't like you can have a rule that players can't engage in having relationships.

Beside teammates having relationships with one another, there are other issues. Another common issue is one teammate stealing another teammates girlfriend. It happens. Drama doesn't go away at the college level.

They are free to have relationships, just not with other teammates. The scenario you presented is exactly why we have the policy. When you step inside the lines you are expected to leave your personal issues behind. Whatever they are. This policy is no secret and we have an open door policy. The door is open for you to leave at any time.

FWIW - It was my female AC who happens to be gay that insisted we adopt the policy. The exact same policy as her college team.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think most TB girls have experienced a gay teammate before even getting to college.

DD follows most of the college SB teams she has visited and has seen the posting regarding the fall workouts. She has started talking more to the college players when attending clinics and I think is starting to get a clearer picture of what it will be like.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would like to know what teams really have time for boy friends or girl friends.

That is exactly what the issue. You have a bunch of 20YOA kids who spend almost all their time with each other. They were humans before they were softball players.

Oct 22, 2009
The sport attracts a fair number of gay participants. Coaches and players alike. Comes with the territory.

Interesting topic, my DD actually had the same amount of gay teammates on her high school team as her college team. So she was exposed to it early on.

Her school did not have a team fraternization rule.

Oct 22, 2009
And since they are going off to the college life, have stern talks about drugs and alcohol. Most female college sports programs have ZERO tolerances for such shenanigans.

My DD's high school catcher was given a scholarship to catch her in college and she lost it her Freshman year due to alcohol.

Jan 21, 2013
Getting a strong education isn't the main focus of many college softball players.

If you believe otherwise then look into the majors of many division-1 softball players. Many don't have much of an educational base to fall back on once their playing days are over.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Who cares.

Please occasionally read the first post in a thread. The question was, "Any big surprises?"

I would say waking up in the middle of the night and finding two people in the bed next to you instead of one would qualify as a "big surprise".

These kids are 20YOA with poor judgment and a lot of dead time on their hands.

What do you think they are going to do during rainouts? Play Parcheesi? Do homework? The players are basically under house arrest. They have no car, no money, no booze, and lots of time.

no one would be so upset about heterosexual activity.

Wow. You don't get this.

It isn't about sexual orientation. It is about the relationship dynamics of 20YOAs women/girls and the impact on the team.

In the normal romantic situation for kids this age, two people get together for a while and then break up. The break up usually results in the two never seeing each other again...which is usually best for all involved.

However, when the kids are on the same team, they have to see other even after the breakup. They probably will be forced to spend a lot of time together. There can be incredible problems.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma