Transition to College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
I am just curious for those who have DDs that have gone through the transition into college, what is the biggest adjustment they had to make on the field or academically? Any big surprises?

Oct 22, 2009
If you're DD has been working on good work ethics and balancing athletics and academics throughout high school, it shouldn't be that hard.

My DD did a lot more running in college than she was used to.

I've known some girls that were "babied" by their parents that had hard times. Teaching them to be able to fix their own light meals and wash their own clothes before heading out is a good idea.

As a parent you're going to have to transition as well, those late night, "I have a flat tire", and crying calls are very stressful to deal with. :( And yes, her first summer back home she learned to change a flat tire. :eek:

I think the craziest thing that happened to my DD was finding all those things she was allergic to that she had never been exposed to at home, there were a couple of ER trips she had to make to track down those culprits.

Oh, and just a warning, your DD could get influenced by peer pressure to do something you have told her never never to do, and the next thing you know you're stuck with thisVideo 61 0 00 00-01.jpg

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not all programs are the same but I can tell you about my DD's experience. They have very little free time outside of softball and school. 6:00AM lifts 5 days a week and practices everyday are a wake up call. Helped DD move in on August 15th. Practices started next day. First day off was a Sunday in Mid-September. What you did in HS and TB now means absolutely nothing. You need to get stronger and faster if you plan to play college ball. Fall is about weeding out the non-hackers and seeing who is here to play. Much of it is mental. Stay focused, work hard, and you will be fine.

Oct 3, 2009
Jojo, great post and at least the dog is cute! Great advice on being self-sufficient. If I am honest I am hard on her in some things but I do baby her on others. So great advice. She is good about balancing academics and athletics as a junior in high school but I do think it will be a big step for her at least academically if she goes where she is verbally committed. Thanks again.

Riseball, that was my experience when I played football. I thought playing Texas 5A high school football and going to a small D1-AA would be an easy transition. Those first 4 weeks are still seared in my brain like it happened yesterday and it was over 25 years ago! I love your point about it being mental and I will emphasize that with my DD.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The experience that you had with football is not very different than most have spending 13 weeks on the island. It changes them forever. My DD had an easier time on the mental part than most because she new it was not personal. The coaches had a certain amount of PT that was to be done and the reason or non-reason they came up with did not really matter. Don't try to understand it, just suck it up and do it. This season she actually looked forward to hell week and flipping tractor tires in the rain. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
They will need to motivate and make decisions for themselves and, good or bad, be accountable for the ramifications, good or bad. The more experience they have doing this before they go to college, the less likely they are to have a major blow out (figuratively) when they get there.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This depends upon what your DD has been exposed to...she has to get used to people with different sexual orientations.

Some teammates might be dating other teammates. There may be displays of affection at inopportune times.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This depends upon what your DD has been exposed to...she has to get used to people with different sexual orientations.

Some teammates might be dating other teammates. There may be displays of affection at inopportune times.

This may be true in some programs. But many teams both in college and TB have a strict policy against intra-team dating. This was a problem for us last season and this year we put an end to it.

Jan 21, 2013
The sport attracts a fair number of gay participants. Coaches and players alike. Comes with the territory.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The sport attracts a fair number of gay participants. Coaches and players alike. Comes with the territory.

Has nothing to do with being gay. Relationships tend to be transitional. We are here to play ball not to engage in drama. It is an activity that is detrimental to the success of the team. If it was a coed debate team I would have the same policy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA